Sign in to follow this  
Crow Horse

Removing Deck Pulley...??

Crow Horse

I need to replace a deck pulley on a 36" SD (5-0722) mower. It's a long story as to why :hide: , but I've tried heat, soaking in PB (it's still soaking), a gear puller (which damaged the pulley) to no avail. Are there any other methods that I'm missing? The pulley is on a double D shaft........ :scratchead:

bitten

You might want to cut it off with a cut off wheel if nothing else works. Just be carefull that you dont cut in to the shaft.

Good luck,

P.J.

Crow Horse

I think that will be my last resort. It's damaged and requires replacement so it won't be a loss if I must cut it off.

I do need to remove the other pulley that isn't damaged so I can replace the spindle bearing and I don't want to bodger that one up. I think I'll continue the long PB soak with some pressure and then some heat and my fingers crossed......

can whlvr

I just did my 1975 36 rear discharge and had to cut two of the three,the one that did come loose i hit the shaft with a good shot from a dead blow hammer and heat and lots of penatrating oil,good luck

catman81056

If your pulleys don't have holes already, try drilling 2 holes oppisite from each other close to the boss and tap them. then use a steering wheel puller. This worked for me just today. The pulleys already had the holes all I did was run a 5/16 tap thru them.

can whlvr

Mine were the cast pulleys and had no holes so i drilled and tapped and the damn pulley broke right when it let go,the replacement toro pulleys are not cast any more,so i wish i never broke 2 of them.

Crow Horse

I was able to remove the pulley by soaking it daily with PB and alternately using heat. This took me over a week to accomplish but it did work.......