Sign in to follow this  
tarcoleo

Deck Bearings in 42" SD's

tarcoleo

Just wondering if I missed the boat buying a 42" with

sealed bearings and without Zerks. My 48" has Zerks.

Is that how it is? :scratchead:

swamp yankee

billyban1

I've recently drilled and tapped a grease fitting hole about half way down the outside of the housing and added my own fitting. You must remember to remove the inner seals on the bearings, so that grease can get to them. The seals will just pop right out with the use of a pick or similar tool. You have to go under the deck to grease it, but it will greatly extend the life of the bearings.

tarcoleo

Hi Billy,

Very interesting. How much of a deal is it to get to the bearing and the

"inner seal"? If I understand the assembly, there is a seal at both ends of the

bearing unit. Not sure, but isn't there also a bearing at each end of the bearing unit?

You say the grease fitting would be located half way down the aluminum housing.

Is there space inside the housing between the bearing unit OD and the housing for

the grease to be able to travel to the bearings? Also, how would the grease get to

the second (top) bearing of the unit? Should the seal be removed there too? Or is

there a path for the grease internal to the bearing unit that would allow the grease

to get to the top bearing from the bottom bearing?

I sure like the idea of what you suggest and am trying to understand how it works.

Thanks, Tom in RI

Don1977

Your best bet is to take them apart to see what you have. The old style had ball bearings on the top and roller bearing at the bottom. They also had two flat sides on

3/4" spindles top and bottom. I have had two styles with grease fittings one style had 3/4" I. D, bearings and with a keyed pulley. The last ones used Chev. alternator bearings ( 6203-2RS ) and had no keys in the pulleys.

If you want the grease to get yo the bearings you have to remove the inside seals.

can whlvr

i have four 42 inch decks 3 of them do have factory zerks and my original deck that came with my 308 when i bought it new,i have never had to touch the bearings in it be very careful of the pulleys if you take it apart,i just broke one from an older 42 side no zerks and the pulley is 115 dollars from the dealer :scratchead:

tarcoleo

Don-

Boy oh boy, good info! So they did come both ways. Think I will

leave well enough alone. The 42" SD obtained recently with sealed

bearings is fine-- If it ain't broke, don't break it by messing. Thanks.

Tom in RI :scratchead: