Sign in to follow this  
perry

d-160 trans info

perry

need to know what transmissions are in the d-160 ?. and will a gt1800 transmission fit ?. anybody have a manual ?. thanks

jdog_kustoms

no a d160-200 have a totally diferant tranny set upo then all the rest of the horses

nylyon

Perry, in the links section, under History and Information there is a link to a Wheel Horse by Year. I have NO idea if the information in there is accurate or not, but if it is, the newer D's share the same trans as the C-Series automatics such as the C-161, C-141 and such.

A GT1800 according to this document has an Eaton 11 trans, which would not directly replace the Sundstrand. I suppose that an Eaton 11 would work if you could get the linkages setup properly, but I really haven't a clue. :scratchead:

pfrederi

D series has a separated Sundstrand system. The pump part is connected directly to the North- south facing engine. (C series etc. has east west mounted engines) The pump is attached to the hydro motor by a 2 ft long 4 tube manifold..The hydro motor is attached to the side of the rear end similarly to that of other models but they are not even close to being interchangeable. (Some of the sundstrand internal parts may cross i do not know but things look the same inside.)

Download the sundstrand hydro manual free form Toro. It covers both systems....

kpinnc

D series has a separated Sundstrand system. The pump part is connected directly to the North- south facing engine. (C series etc. has east west mounted engines) The pump is attached to the hydro motor by a 2 ft long 4 tube manifold..The hydro motor is attached to the side of the rear end similarly to that of other models but they are not even close to being interchangeable. (Some of the sundstrand internal parts may cross i do not know but things look the same inside.)

Yep, the Sundstrands (C-series types) of that era had a split between the pump and motor portions of the tranny, and used o-rings and a compression fit to hold it all together. The D series took it a step further by placing the above mentioned manifold between the pump and motor sections. It is possible to use a motor portion from a C-series on a D, but the pump section had a splined input shaft on a D, and a keyed one on a C. No way to interchange them without getting into the pump itself.

And of course the D series used much longer axles in the transaxle, so those won't directly swap either...

Kevin