Sign in to follow this  
acedog

spring shift control?

acedog

OK, I posted a question a short while back about a ( spring shift control ). I had alot of looks but no replys , so I'am gessing no one knows about this ( very hard to believe ).I have a 2005 315-8 8 speed that I was having a hard time shifting out of 2nd gear, so I adjusted the gluch and it seemed to work a little better. Well I was cutting grass yesterday and I was having a little trouble shifting out of 2nd gear again. Well I gave it a little bang with the palm of my hand and this ( spring shift ) broke off. So I put it in my pocket and went on cutting, Well to my surprise I was shifting in and out of all gears like butter. My question is, do all wheel horse tractors have this item? It's on the 2nd and 1st gears and it's a piece of heavy wire formed to hold it into 2nd and 1st gear. Now I had no trouble keeping It in gear without it, sooooooo is it necessary???

kpinnc

Now I had no trouble keeping It in gear without it, sooooooo is it necessary???

The newest tractors, like your 315-8, had quite a few "safety" features that were never used on the older tractors, like the magnetic neutral position switch for cranking at the shifter plate, etc... Although the "classic" tractor is basically identical to any other 300/400/500 series machine from the 80s and 90s, NONE of them had the feature you describe to my knowledge. In other words, you probably don't need the spring.

Some of the older 3 speed Unidrives had problems jumping out of second gear as they got some wear on them, but I have not heard much about the 8 speeds doing the same thing.

Kevin

nylyon

Do you have a picture of this? My 87 414 does not have anyhthing like it (that I know of)

acedog

Coach, I never posted a picture here before so I'll see what I can do. Thanks:

tgranthamfd

acedog, would this be the spring in qustion

DSC00739.jpg

close up

DSC00740.jpg

I did see your first post, but I had no answer, didn't even notice the spring. Looked at some pics from the clevis hitch instalation, and there it was. I have never had any shifting issues with mine, It is the same model as yours. I'm thinking needless safety things, myself.

acedog

Sorry it took me so long to reply, you know how it is. This is not the spring I'am talking about , but I took a picture of it and down loaded to photobucket but I can't seem to figure out how to put it on this site? NEED HELP

acedog

Thanks coach, I'll try this at home, I'am at work now and this can't be done on this pc.

acedog

Sorry it took so long to reply but I'am going to try to post a picture of this part. This spring goes under the shifter plate on the 2nd and 1st gear. It's has been shifting great without it so I'm not putting it back on.

DSCN0233-1.jpg