Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bullington

Raider 12 questions

Michael Bullington

I have a raider 12 and my dad also has a raider 12..Both 1968 mondels.we got to comparing the two and found we have two different engine setups...Mine has the old style generator with the red light in the dash...and his has a small starter type with no coil on the engine ..also his dash has no hole for the red light...I was looking at the pic gallery and noticed most of the 68 models where like his...can anyone shed more light on this...Was this is the middle of a change over year??? and what happen to the coil??? we have a 70's c120 & c160 with a coil...this was really confusing>> :scratchead:

thanks

Michael

Raider12

I cannot answer all of your questions for the differences between your tractors, but the one "without" the coil. Probably has the electronic ignition. This engine will not have your typical coil mounted on the engine. It uses a much small funny shaped unit instead. My 70 Raider 12 had this electronic ignition and when it started giving me problems I converted it over to the points and standard coil.

Here is a link to one of the members tractor with the electronic ignition. Take a look at the engine and you can see it does not have the typical round coil.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5773

TT

The early production 1968 Raider and Charger 12 models were assembled with the "left-over" battery ignition / starter-generator equipped K-301 Kohlers that were used on the 1276 and 1257/1267 models in 1967.

Early in 1968, the K-301 used on the R/C/E-12 received a gear drive starter and a magneto ignition with a 10amp stator under the flywheel.

The breakerless ("solid state") ignition was not introduced until 1969 on the Kohlers.

Michael Bullington

thanks for the information guys!!! :scratchead:

What year did they change back to the coil....Wow that Kohler works just like the ole tecumsehs everone hates to work on....why did they ever do that???