Sign in to follow this  
SteveF

Wheel Horse 212-6 HELP!

SteveF

Anybody,

Since my clutch was slipping on my Wheel Horse 212-6 to the point where engaging the mower would fail to cut any grass (and shifting into any gear felt like power shifting), I reluctantly removed the idler pulley and adjusted the spring going from the cutout on the frame to the 3rd hole (counting from left to right). The spring was going through the 2nd hole so I thought this would be a rather quick remedy. ...Or so I thought. While I meant only to loosen the idler pulley, the nut came off along with all the washers, spacer, etc. falling into my hands. :hide:

I've posted a photo taken from the bottom of the Wheel Horse 212-6. Can anyone tell me if the idler pulley appears to be in the right spot? I was working off of a diagram which I'll post so I think everything is probably setup right but the belt is way too loose, and, yes, it is going around the back (large) pulley and around the front (also large) pulley.

I assume that any of the Wheel Horse models are probably similar as far as the PTO clutch belt routing is concerned. Can someone please post a photo of the undercarriage of their similar tractor showing the idler pulley.

One last thing, the idler pulley itself has a cylindrical piece sticking upwards from the center. I wasn't certain but should that piece be facing upwards toward the sky or downward toward the bottom of the tractor? I presently have the idler pulley re-installed with that cylindrical piece of the pulley pointing up.

As always, any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

:scratchead:

SteveF

1988 Wheel Horse 212-6

37" Side Discharge Mower Deck

2-Bin Bagger

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1252264262.jpg

wallfish

I am not familar with this type of tractor at all but I can tell you that the outside "flat" part of the belt is what rides on the idler pulley. It appears, by looking at your pic, that the top half of the belt needs to run on the other side of the pulley from where it currently is. Hope this helps

SteveF

wallfish,

Thanks for responding!

With your suggestion, if I understand you correctly, should I place the bottom part of the belt to rest on the top (in the photo) of the pulley? I have the tractor on its side on the grass on a slight incline right now so I'll try your suggestion.

I'm sure if I could see a photo of some similar tractor and how the belt is routed, I'll be able to duplicate it.

Thanks and I'll keep you posted, :scratchead:

SteveF

wallfish

This is just my observation.

It appears that the clutch pedal is in the engaged position so the tension on the belt will be applied from the bottom of the pulley. When the pedal is pressed down the pulley will move up and disengage the belt.

vertpulley.jpg

SteveF

wallfish,

That's how I interpreted your text post but thanks a million! Your tip appears to have done the trick. The tractor is shifting better but when I went to use the deck to cut the grass, it seemed to want to stall after a brief time. I noticed that I had the mowing deck set way to low (nearest to ground) which may have been the cause. I'm going to attempt to cut with the mowing deck raised to the 3rd notch which is where I usually keep it set.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

SteveF

in Western New Jersey

1988 Wheel Horse 212-6

37" Side Discharge Mowing Deck

2-Bin Bagger (Which I Hope To Eventually Get Working)

dr74go

I also do not know anything about these mowers. I have looked at your picture and the diagram on partstree.com. From what I can see both pics, I agree with wallfish. Move the upper part of the belt in the picture below the pulley. The lower part of the belt should be outside of the metal rod. I do know for it to work properly, one side of the belt should run in a straight line from the engine pulley to the transmission pulley. The other side of the belt will be tightened by the idler pulley with your foot off of the clutch.

The idler pulley looks to be adjustable. To tighten the belt, it looks like you need to move it further out. To loosen the belt, move it closer in. If this does not help, the belt may have stretched. Many people here will suggest to replace with a Toro belt. They seem to last longer than automotive belts. There are other belts made for mowers and things, but I am not familiar with brands or what to look for.

As for the cylindrical piece on the pulley, I think you have it in the right place. It is a built in spacer to keep the pulley spaced off of the idler arm. The pulley should spin freely and not make contact with the arm.

I hope this helps. If these post do not help, and you still need pics, just be patient. Others with more knowledge will read and post later if they have a pic or have the correct information.

SteveF

dr74g0,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I used wallfish's recommendation and even before he was able to post that great photo, his advice worked perfectly.

Thanks again for the information.

SteveF

in Western New Jersey