Sign in to follow this  
gregg.d250

D250 questions

gregg.d250

Hi folks-

I'm new to this forum after months of viewing. I recently acquired a D-250 with only 343 hours on a working meter from a friend and I am looking for more information on it. I've been in the IH Cub world for quite some time - have a 123,125,127,782 and 982. This is my first foray into the WH world, wiith encouragement from Forum member 'Fireman'.

I was hoping I could get a start on a few items:

1. Where can I find a manual (Gutbrod or WH) for my tractor? Anyone have a *.pdf for share or purchase? I can't seem to find one or any exploded views on Toro's website.

2. There's a bolt and blockoff plate where an oil filter should go on the engine - I've searched the archives and there was mention of adding a filter, but not which filter or any specifics on the install. I suppose this is using parts from a later engine version. Any info available?

3. I understand Continental purchased the engine design from Renault, and it's still used in some Toro Commercial products. Which dealer type do I need to find for support? Commercial or Residential?

4. Seems the shaft-drive deck was sourced from the JD-400 and the lift linkage modified. Can anyone verify this or has anyone purchased spindles, idlers or other parts from a JD dealer? I don't need them (yet) but was curious.

5. The muffler is on its last legs, with the downpipe broken off long ago. Does anyone have a part number or substitute muffler with a front discharge to retrofit? The header pipe is solid and I'm sure I can weld/clamp another muffler on, though wondering if anyone has a specific one that's been tried and tested.

Thanks in advance with this long list. Hope I can contribute in return on this site at some point.

Regards,

Gregg in VA

clintonnut

Hi Gregg,

I think I can answer all of those questions. Yes an oil filter can be put on. An owners manual is usually on ebay but parts manuals are harder to find. I get most of my parts from Germany or France ebay. This engine is used in the R4. Baerpath knows where to get ignition parts. I got lucky and was able to get them from Napa. The JD-400 deck is interchangeable with the D-250 deck with bracket changes. A Ford Jubilie muffer from tractor supply works on the tractor with some bracket fabs.

WE WANT PICTURES!!!

Charlie

fireman

Gregg,

Welcome to Redsquare. Guys, I drove 300 miles each way to meet Gregg and buy a Kwik-Way loader subframe for my C-81 from him. He's a great guy. Let's help him out if we can.

Jeff

d180man

Hi :ychain::ychain: but i know a guy that has some parts i have to look his # up! :scratchead: :hide:

gregg.d250

Fellows -

Thanks for the replies and direct offline contacts. Looks like I'm off to a good start!

Charlie - could you tell me exactly what I need to install a filter on the engine?

As requested, here are some pictures of the tractor in my friend's garage. He's not the best photographer.... and the tractor is not the most photogenic..... but the fender isn't cracked and neither are the taillights...... some paint and a re-install of the deck covers will do wonders. He started sanding the hood this past winter when he discovered that new decals were available on Greed-Pay.

I'll have to take some better ones soon. It turns out it's a 1977.

Is there a way to tighten up the steering box? I haven't delved into it but it's got close to '2 hours' of play at the wheel, all of it coming from the box and not the tie rod ends.

Gregg

Attached Image

post-3-1252334283.jpg

gregg.d250

Can't get multiple pictures to load in the same post.... have to learn the tricks on this BB-

Attached Image

post-3-1252334368.jpg

gregg.d250

And another-

Attached Image

post-3-1252334426.jpg

gregg.d250

Last one..... not a bad deal for what it is.... I'm looking forward to some winter resto-work!!! I'm thrilled the fender pan doesn't have a single crack in it.... some are really bad from the photos I've seen.

Thanks again everyone-

Gregg

Attached Image

post-3-1252334569.jpg

clintonnut

To install an oil filter is pretty easy. Take the block off plate off and take it to the hardware store. The threads on the block off plate are american sized. Get a bolt with the same threads. You need about 4 inches of threads. Then cut the bolt threads to length and rifle drill the bolt for an oil passage. Install jam nuts and put it on the engine. The oil filter I believe is a Fram P243. It is mandatory to lop off a corner of the motor mount base to clear the filter so it doesn't rub. Steering boxes are impossible to find and so are the parts. It is best to take yours apart and if the bearings are messed up you are basically screwed. You can try to get bushings for an american sized bearing or machine the box parts to work with one. It is pretty to easy to just put a power steering setup out of a forklift on. It already has hydraulics so it wouldn't be too hard.

Charlie