sqrlgtr

Ignition switch's

sqrlgtr

Hello All, I've got an ignition switch on the GT14 that doesn't allow any spark going to points why it's turning over but will fire as soon as you release key to run position. This makes the third switch I've run into with this problem. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this besides me? It's not really a problem once you realize whats going on and figure out the proper key ,choke, throttle dance lol....

953 nut
1 minute ago, sqrlgtr said:

ignition switch on the GT14 that doesn't allow any spark going to points

The GT-14 came with an electronic ignition system so it sounds like yours has been converted to a battery ignition system. What ignition switch number are you having the problem with?

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If you have battery ignition check to see if you have power at the coil (+) in both START and RUN.

You may have power in both key positions and the problem is a set of points that need cleaning or replacement.

sqrlgtr

Mine is a 69 gt14 and came with points (believe they went to electronic in later years) and the points new, the switch must have short in it. Turn key switch to on position and points has fire but you can turn key to crank and no fire on points as engine turns over...

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said:

Mine is a 69 gt14 and came with points (believe they went to electronic in later years) and the points new, the switch must have short in it. Turn key switch to on position and points has fire but you can turn key to crank and no fire on points as engine turns over...

What's the part number of the switches that you've been using?

sqrlgtr

All was on machines when I got them so unsure. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said:

All was on machines when I got them so unsure. 

If you still have them, can you look at the back and see if the terminals are marked with letters?

gwest_ca

It was the last 2 models in 1972-73 that had battery ignition using K321S-60149A engines.

Previous models had breakerless magneto ignition using K321S-60125B engines.

sqrlgtr
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

It was the last 2 models in 1972-73 that had battery ignition using K321S-60149A engines.

Previous models had breakerless magneto ignition using K321S-60125B engines.

I was thinking it was other way around but your probably right. You have me curious know will try and look at model number on my gt14 next time Im at shop.Will also try and get pic of switch... I could of swore mine was a 69 but may have looked at it wrong. Here is the only pics I have on phone at the moment... 

IMG_0491 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, sqrlgtr said:

This makes the third switch I've run into with this problem.

Sounds to me like you are using the wrong switch or the wiring to them is wrong..     The likelihood of having three defective switches bought at seper4ate times with the same defect is rather low.

You probably have the "A" terminal of the ignition switch connected to your coil. Typically a battery ignition system switch will drop out the "A" (accessory) terminal during Start but will connect it during Run

1038329857_SwitchIgnitionBat103990.jpg.f497513d49a4078072828d74afd65431.jpg.d7e2bb98c675dc386a9ba82308c1db88.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

sqrlgtr
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Sounds to me like you are using the wrong switch or the wiring to them is wrong..     The likelihood of having three defective switches bought at seper4ate times with the same defect is rather low.

You probably have the "A" terminal of the ignition switch connected to your coil. Typically a battery ignition system switch will drop out the "A" (accessory) terminal during Start but will connect it during Run

The ones I've had trouble with were already on the tractors when I brought them home and I just went ahead and swapped them out when I ran into the trouble but I hadnt thought about the acc dropping out during cranking that may have been what was going on.... Should have been more clear this has been over a period of years and not like three in a row being bad...sorry for any confusion. Actually I haven't swapped the gt14 switch out and its been like that for few years know..

• Like 1