Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Push Button ignition

Brian1045

I just got my hands on a Raider 10. After hooking up a new battery and a little tlc she is up and purring like a cat.

I have to jump the solenoid to get it to run though. There is power to the switch but the button switch doesn't seem to be making contact. Is this part still available through Toro or does anyone have one they want to part with?

Thanks! Brian

Brian1045

Well it's not the switch, I found one at Auto Zone almost identical to the one that came factory on the WH. I wired it up and I still get nothing.

I can jump the solenoid and it will start and the kill switch on the dash works as should to shut down the tractor. I used a test light and I'm getting power to the push button switch but nothing happens when I push in on it. Could the solenoid itself be bad?

Also does anyone have a Raider 10 6 speed wiring diagram? That would help a alot.

Thanks in advance!

Don1977

It sounds to me like you have a weak battery. Have you had it checked with a load tester.

TT

A Raider shouldn't have a push button for the starter or a solenoid. :scratchead:

What year is it?

Brian1045

It's the one I posted a few months back..I believe you (TT) said it was a 72?

I'll see if I can find it in here somewhere.

t sounds to me like you have a weak battery. Have you had it checked with a load tester.

I just put a brand new battery in it. It fires right up if I jump across the solenoid.

TT

Borrow the wiring diagram "catman" Tim just posted for a 1973 to get a general idea.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12054

Make sure you have 12V at the small wire on the solenoid when you press the button. If you do, the solenoid is the problem.

WheelHorse_of_course

It would appear that the wire from the switch to the solenoid might be bad.

Trace the wire and with a test lightor volt meter see if you get voltage when the buttom is press.

If not, try cutting of the connector and if you get voltage at the copper then put a new connector on it.

If you do get voltage there, remove the terminal and scrape the connector clean and reinstall. If it still does not work it is almost certainly the solenoid.

Are you jumping the solenoid big wire to big wire, or from the battery big wire to the small wire. If the second method works the solenoid is good.

Best of luck.

:hide: :scratchead:

Brian1045

I'm jumping Big wire to Big wire..I'll give the second method a shot tomorrow.

Thanks guys for the help ....I'll post back hopefully with a resolution tomorrow. :scratchead:

Brian1045

Ok I couldn't wait..curiosity got the best of me. :hide:

I tried the second method and still a no go. I double checked all the nuts to the starter, solenoid,etc. then tapped the solenoid a few times with a wrench and hit the push button and it turned the motor over. :scratchead:

But that was the end of it...It won't turn over the starter anymore, but now I'm getting a loud click when I do hit the button, so at least I know power is getting to the solenoid ok. I'd say it's time for a new one.

Thanks for the info guys!

chazm

Hey Brian - I had some what the same problem with my raider 9 :hide:

TT helped me with mine - It was the Ign switch. - somebody replaced it with the wrong Ign switch., it wasn't a heavy duty switch & would loose currant after cranking once or twice.

I ended up re-wiring it with a solenoid.

You may want to check the wire going to the push button -if it's coming from the Ign. switch that might be where it's loosing power.

Wiring problems can be a pain in the arse :scratchead:

Good luck, Chaz

Brian1045

UPDATE:

It was definitely the solenoid. I bought a new universal one from a local mower shop and everything is working as it should.

Thanks for all the input fellas!

TT

loki8.gif

That's what we like to hear!