Jeremiah elliott

Rebuild

Jeremiah elliott

I know very little but learning as I go. I pulled the fly wheel off and behind it I believe was the stator maybe???? It has a wire that goes to spark plug, back around to some other contraption and to the battery. What is this thing called and where can I find one. It’s a 1965 552 I believe. Any information I could get I would greatly appreciate it. 

IMG_4323.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
Posted (edited)

Behind the flywheel would be the stator and the ignition coil. The part that has the wire to the spark plug is the ignition coil. The other small wires from the stator would go to the voltage regulator/rectifier then to the battery.

A link for a manual.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/rotavator-manuals/Techumseh-L-Head-Engines-Manual.pdf

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Well for starters I don't see a pic of it but guessing the magneto? 

Second any dude tackling a tecky rebuild is either a hero or stupid. My luck with them I fall into the latter.

• Haha 5

Jeremiah elliott

More like broke and self sufficient. Bought it for the boy and rebuilding slowly for him. But when mechanics cost 108 per hour I’d rather learn how to do it myself. Rebuilding the motor is no problem electrical side of it is a learning curve. 

• Like 5

Jeremiah elliott
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Behind the flywheel would be the stator and the ignition coil. The part that has the wire to the spark plug is the ignition coil. The other small wires wire from the stator would go to the voltage regulator/rectifier then to the battery.

A link for a manual.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/rotavator-manuals/Techumseh-L-Head-Engines-Manual.pdf

Thank you for the help. Now just gotta find one that is close to the original or is an original. May see if I can clean this one up. 

1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Well for starters I don't see a pic of it but guessing the magneto? 

Second any dude tackling a tecky rebuild is either a hero or stupid. My luck with them I fall into the latter.

• Like 1

ri702bill

I hope you did NOT remove the adustable coil bracker from the engine. It is adjustable to set the air gap from the coil pole to the flywheel magnets. ... But is hidden by the flywheel!!! Can't really get there from here....

Jeremiah elliott
4 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

I hope you did NOT remove the adustable coil bracker from the engine. It is adjustable to set the air gap from the coil pole to the flywheel magnets. ... But is hidden by the flywheel!!! Can't really get there from here....

When removing the fly wheel I did not see any adjustable bracket if whatever you are talking about is there I’ll have to make sure it doesn’t get moved. But if it’s adjustable it sounds like it can be adjusted. I guess I haven’t came across it. The stator is screwed to the motor and the fly wheel was set on the shaft. The shaft has been marked where the fly wheel was sitting. If the stator hasn’t moved and the flywheel goes back to where it belongs it’s back to the same. And if I do find a replacement stator I’m assuming I’ll have to remove it to put the new one on. But now I know exactly what I’m looking at. Have an understanding what it does and will get it replaced or cleaned up. One of the two. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Jeremiah elliott said:

... Rebuilding the motor is no problem electrical side of it is a learning curve. 

For me, exactly the opposite!

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Jeremiah elliott
Just now, Handy Don said:

For me, exactly the opposite!

I just rebuilt a greyhound with no issues but didn’t have to <censored> with electrical.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Some mechanical and electrical parts for Teckys can be hard to find/expensive.  Especially ignition parts. 
If you run into that problem you could make it a rope start and use one of the little electronic ignition parts in place of the points. 

Jeremiah elliott
1 minute ago, oliver2-44 said:

Some mechanical and electrical parts for Teckys can be hard to find/expensive.  Especially ignition parts. 
If you run into that problem you could make it a rope start and use one of the little electronic ignition parts in place of the points. 

I’m def. Learning that part lol. A guy on one of the wheel horse pages posted a diagram of motor out of the book with the parts list. I believe I have it on my laptop. It may get a temp motor mounted on it and then replaced back with original once it is rebuilt

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Some links I've saved about Tecumseh small blocks. 

https://youtu.be/5XqMo3gUWJo?si=QuOeC-JcKdpmpuTZ

• Like 1