1981Scout

416h start, run, charge, simple wiring

1981Scout

Looking for thoughts on rewiring my 416h.

I have spark issues that i am sorting out and while diagnosing the spark issue i realized that some of my wiring isn't in the greatest of conditions.  My question is,, has anyone wired these machines to just start, run and charge ?   I don't care about lights, safety switches, dash indicators or anything unnecessary.  Your thoughts?   This tractor is a mowing machine but has seen better days and i just want to make it as simple as possible.

I am definitely not the best in the electrical category and that's why i'm considering this.  Onan 416h

Achto
Posted (edited)

If it is only going to be you using the tractor and not someone of little to no experience, then yes you could wire it as you wish. Safety's are there to protect the unknowing & the forgetful. Forgetful can happen fast when you are in a hurry.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

rmaynard

My question is, if it's running now, why change it. I think you are headed into a hornets nest by removing things like safety switches. Someday, you may not be the one to attempt to use it, and heaven forbid one of your kids or grandkid cuts their toes off because of something irresponsible that you did. My short answer is don't do it.

• Excellent 4

Handy Don

:text-yeahthat:

953 nut

:WRS:

I don't know for the life of me whym people want to remove safety switches rather than diagnosing and repairing a problem that probably has nothing to do with safety switches.        :soapbox:

136892004_1electrical.jpg.36effac1cebbb9d76d2daee718807044.jpg

1981Scout

Duly noted !

that's why i asked you guys.

thanks 

• Thanks 2

gwest_ca

wallfish

But, on the other hand, 1000s upon 1000s of tractors existed and were sold and used for many years before all of the safety switches were added. So were batteries without the label Do Not Drink the Acid.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here since you guys seem pretty harsh on him for wanting to bypass some of those switches.

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

But, on the other hand, 1000s upon 1000s of tractors existed and were sold and used for many years before all of the safety switches were added. So were batteries without the label Do Not Drink the Acid.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here since you guys seem pretty harsh on him for wanting to bypass some of those switches.

What you say is true, for sure. 

11 hours ago, Achto said:

Safety's are there to protect the unknowing & the forgetful. Forgetful can happen fast when you are in a hurry.

So is this--big time.

• Like 1

wallfish
32 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

What you say is true, for sure. 

So is this--big time.

Best to always stay on your toes and pay attention rather than rely on ANYTHING else

• Excellent 1