Racinbob

Hydro Foot Control

Racinbob

I'm considering installing a foot control on a recently acquired 314-H with an Eaton 11 steering column lever control. There are two types out there according to our files. The 8-3900 Wheel Horse/Toro and the style that I believe Matt designed and built. You need to purchase a brake pedal for this one (not a factor).  I have a friend that has made a batch of 8-3900 clones that are ready to go to the powder coater. There looks to be quite a few differences in the two styles. Has any of you had experience with both styles tell me the pros and cons of each? Going through the instructions I can form my own opinion but hearing some firsthand experience is way better. :)

• Excellent 1

JoeM

I used the Matt style on one of my 520 machines. There was issues with it returning to neutral from time to time. Ended up adding another spring to the centering plate. 

One other thing on my updated version. I left the hand control hooked up and ground the notch flat, on the hills it was sometimes more convenient to use a hand control. Plus, if I remember correctly, removing the hand control was pretty involved. 

After messing with two versions, this one worked the best, using a grease-able, shoulder bolt for a pivot connected by heim joints right to the control.

Just some food for thought. 

image.png.d92dd865633a3036491646009d179d7d.pngimage.png.42df22ea5ebd9dd4abf7c878e57a765d.png

image.png.bdec139aa31b811c7f937e818e8766e1.png

image.png.39302b0bf35f827b9ea7cd30b66010a5.png

image.png.7295480b30a6fd1901d424840b94adb9.png

• Like 1

Racinbob

I can see where leaving the hand lever might have it's advantages or at least make no difference. Matts design seems more straight forward and simpler. I'm thinking use a brake pedal from A B/C series and not the larger pedal on the 3-4-500's. :eusa-think:

JoeM
8 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I'm thinking use a brake pedal from A B/C series and not the larger pedal on the 3-4-500's

lighter the better for the return spring. 

I like the longer reverse lever on the pedal.

Bill D

I built my own.  Build thread is in the modification section.  Simple bolt on design is what I was aiming for.  Working pretty good so far.

KIMG0175.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc

Built my own as well. Used a pedal from a Kubota. No return to center beyond the left pedal function- exactly as every Wheel Horse hydro ever produced. 

IMG_20240318_192531299.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Thor27

I have tractors with both styles. I personally prefer Matt's,  they both work fine but it has a more natural range of motion.

cleat

I have Matt's on 5 machines right now (soon to be 6).

The automatic return to neutral is a big safety plus as far as I am concerned.

If you run into any difficulty or issue, just lift your foot and the tractor stops.

I would assume that is one big reason why new hydro tractors work the same way.

Racinbob

Is Matt still making these?