John2189

Tick

John2189

What do you do when you have a tick bite?

I pulled it out pretty sure I got the head. It could have only been a couple hours. It was real small, about the size of a pencil lead.  

Pullstart

There are low chances it had Lyme disease.  However, I’m no doctor and end up in the bumps and bruises thread all too often.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to get in to your local medical center…

• Like 3

John2189
12 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

There are low chances it had Lyme disease.  However, I’m no doctor and end up in the bumps and bruises thread all too often.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to get in to your local medical center…

I just called my dr. He wants me to come in tomorrow and get bloodwork 

• Like 2

peter lena

@John2189 had my share of tick bites , they will mess you up , they also enhance anything else you might get .that you are  affected , to everyone is slightly different ,  they really effected my sinus issues , body ache. , you don't feel it  at first , then you get funky . will have you checking yourself over , when you come in . pete

Bill D
50 minutes ago, John2189 said:

I just called my dr. He wants me to come in tomorrow and get bloodwork 

Get a follow up test about a month later.  Standard course of treatment is 21 days on doxycycline.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

@John2189 had my share of tick bites , they will mess you up , they also enhance anything else you might get .that you are  affected , to everyone is slightly different ,  they really effected my sinus issues , body ache. , you don't feel it  at first , then you get funky . will have you checking yourself over , when you come in . pete

I hear that Pete.      Having spent most of my life in the woods and skinning tick infested animals, I have had dozens of tick bites.

I had one buried in my thigh in the early 60s that formed a red bulls eye ring.  I just thought it was infection and rubbed it with alcohol.   This was about ten years before a group of children in Lyme, Conn. were sick with some unexplained symptoms and eventually a researcher who was studying the tick borne Rocky Mt Spotted Fever discovered these children were all bitten by a tick and Lyme disease was discovered.

Unfortunately I contacted the disease long before it was known or any treatment was available.      I created heart, sinus, joint, tunnel vision,  and numbness problems and a neck that has very limited movement.

Not complaining though.....I feel lucky to wake up on the green side every AM.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

ranger

I had two tick bites last year. No blood tests or anything, immediately started on a course of antibiotics!

• Excellent 1

Beap52

"Ticks" is the first update to the bumps and bruises in over 4 months.  That's a good thing. 

"Ticks" is also a pertinent topic considering the season for the little rascals.  We had a nephew get lyme disease a few years ago and he took a beating.   It may be just me, but it sure seems like ticks are a bigger issue than they were when I was a young man.  

• Like 1

8ntruck

Take a look at the tick you pull off.  If it is small, brown and glossy, chances of getting a tick borne disease is pretty low.  If it is gray, scaly, and has a white spot on its back, pay attention to the bite - these ticks do carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Ticks seem to be worse this year.  I've had 3 or 4 bites so far.  Unusually, two of the bites, seem to have happened while I was working in the yard.  Normally, the yard has been tick free.

• Like 2

Beap52
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Take a look at the tick you pull off.  If it is small, brown and glossy, chances of getting a tick borne disease is pretty low.  If it is gray, scaly, and has a white spot on its back, pay attention to the bite - these ticks do carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Ticks seem to be worse this year.  I've had 3 or 4 bites so far.  Unusually, two of the bites, seem to have happened while I was working in the yard.  Normally, the yard has been tick free.

Someone suggested taping a tick that you have removed to a calendar.  That way you will have the tick that you removed on the date you found it to show to doctor if issues arise.

• Like 2