John Rizzardi

engine will not start

John Rizzardi

Last week i posted about motor shutting off when i engaged PTO to run mower deck, asked about fuse locations and i found all (both) 15 amp and 5 amp fuses, blew 15 amp fuse when checking the seat safety switch plug, replaced fuse and without switch in circuit , tractor started, returned seat switch to tractor the next morning and it seemed to try to start for a sec or two! Has not started since, after buying new switch (exact replacement) and installing tractor still will not turn over. Seems my original seat switch was ok, because when tested with meter, both switches gave me the same reading, looking at prints that i downloaded from Forum last week (thanks qwest_ca) and reading other posts about when tractor will not start, maybe its the PTO interlock switch or the Pedal interlock switch, not sure where they are or if they can be tested, any help is greatly appreciated. I can not seem to find problem, PTO shutting off motor was where this all started, not sure what, if i did damage to something else while trying to “fix” seat switch🤷‍♂️  

ScottM414

I have a 414-8 and my PTO safety switches are located to the right of the battery (if you're sitting on the tractor). Almost need a flashlight to see them. They're just long lever switches. Engage or disengage the PTO lever and look to the end most part of what is moving it to see the switches. There are 2 switches wired in opposite polarity. Switches are held together with two long tiny nuts and bolts. Find the part number and a suitable replacement online that won't cost you the NOS OEM price! I'd also download demystification guide. I'm in a similar position with ignition issues and that's how I'll spend my day tomorrow - fiddlin' with wires and switches! Too may wires for the size of my tractor! I'm a newbie, but hope that helps some.

gwest_ca

I went looking to see what model of tractor you have and didn't come back to this thread. Sorry

Posted in the earlier thread.

953 nut
8 hours ago, John Rizzardi said:

i found all (both) 15 amp and 5 amp fuses, blew 15 amp fuse

If you are having blown fuses the likelihood is a wire is pinched or has insulation that has become cut and in contact with the metal.