Ed Kennell

Round hood ID Help

Ed Kennell

Once I get all the hood, tranny, dash plate and throttle control data together, I believe I have enough info to ID the year of all the round hoods except the 55 and 56. 

Is there any visible differences between these two?

• Like 1

Handy Don
54 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Once I get all the hood, tranny, dash plate and throttle control data together, I believe I have enough info to ID the year of all the round hoods except the 55 and 56. 

Is there any visible differences between these two?

Ed, I think you are the right guy to start and wrangle a crowd-sourced “Wheel Horse Field Identification Guide” to add to the archives. Are you up for it? 😄

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

OoPEZoO
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm no round hood expert Keith, but I am learning from this thread.     IMO, those are Fe2O3 holes and need to be repaired.    I think the only holes in that hood should be the four for the fuel tank straps and the two for the throttle control, and the three that bolt to the frame.    Those two holes in front of the throttle were from a tool box that the PO added.

I didn’t think they were original, but they are definitely NOT rust holes….if you look at the bottom of the picture I posted on the left and right side.  There are holes on both sides and they are symmetrical.  Same with the upper 2 holes, there are matching ones on the other side of the hood out of frame.  Then there are more along the sides of the hood and they are also symmetrical on both sides.  They are definitely intentional, that’s why I questioned if they were factory or someone got drill happy with it at some point. 

At this point, I plan to weld them and smooth them out.  Just seems like someone put quite a bit of effort into putting them there, would love to know why….LOL

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, OoPEZoO said:

I didn’t think they were original, but they are definitely NOT rust holes

I agree, those two at the bottom look like drilled holes.    I didn't even notice those holes.   I saw a couple at the top front that looked like rust thru.   I can't imagine why a PO would drill those holes. 

953 nut
9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I think the only holes in that hood should be the four for the fuel tank straps

:no:         The gas tank straps on the RJ 35, RJ 58 and 59 and Suburban 400/401/450/451 were all welded to the bottom side of the hoode. The RJ 25 had a fuel tank stand.

1630994980_RJhoodwithtankstrsaps.jpg.5b140c56e04cc84b6275ff15d52519c0.jpg

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:no:         The gas tank straps on the RJ 35, RJ 58 and 59 and Suburban 400/401/450/451 were all welded to the bottom side of the hoode. The RJ 25 had a fuel tank stand.

1630994980_RJhoodwithtankstrsaps.jpg.5b140c56e04cc84b6275ff15d52519c0.jpg

My RJ (Wally) had the 3pc tranny making it a 58 or later.  But it had a smooth non-ribbed  WH name embossed hood with bolted on fuel tank straps, so that makes it a 57 or earlier.

Maybe WH used some 57 hoods  on some of the 58  RJs.    So Wally could be a 57 1/2 RJ.

• Like 1

wallfish
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

My RJ (Wally) had the 3pc tranny making it a 58 or later.  But it had a smooth non-ribbed  WH name embossed hood with bolted on fuel tank straps, so that makes it a 57 or earlier.

Maybe WH used some 57 hoods  on some of the 58  RJs.    So Wally could be a 57 1/2 RJ.

Many of those tank straps broke off due to vibration or whatever, so it's very common to see repaired bolted straps. Your tractor and hood is a normal everyday RJ-58

There are cast codes next to the shifter so the last number will indicate the year it was cast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wh315-8
8 hours ago, wallfish said:

Many of those tank straps broke off due to vibration or whatever, so it's very common to see repaired bolted straps. Your tractor and hood is a normal everyday RJ-58

There are cast codes next to the shifter so the last number will indicate the year it was cast.

Except the early 58s had no cast date.

wh315-8
Posted (edited)

My 57, has two extra holes with a gas tank strap. Maybe added later, whose to know 67 years later. This tractor is all original with mower deck. My 59 & my 58s all have same holes as in last two pictures. Just 4 for the hood stand and 1 on the frame in bottom front.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by wh315-8
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

0x4glvdf.png.fb0ed24a4ba9a74d1cd8ff6d7a8d3a12.png

Yeah, the yellow strap looks like the factory welded to the hood strap and the blue X was added after the weld broke or to prevent it from breaking.

My 58 had two straps bolted thru the top of the hood.  Nothing thru the sides of the hood.

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, wh315-8 said:

Except the early 58s had no cast date.

And if he found that the next things to look for are round hubs with 3 lug holes, more crudely made rear hitch, leather shifter boot

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

OoPEZoO

Hopefully I’ll have some time this week to investigate Wally’s parts a little farther, but I do know that there are no casting marks/numbers by the shifter.  The whole area is smooth. I just picked up a fresh box of soda wash for the old E-tank setup, and drug the sand blasting cabinet out of storage. Fingers crossed I can get into it this coming weekend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1