Ed Kennell

Round hood ID Help

Ed Kennell

I  recently realized how little I know about these tractors.   Is there a way to determine the year of the 1955 - 1960 tractors?

All I can find is the 55 to 57 had the Pond trans mission., 58 to 59 had the 5003 wheel horse, 60 had the 5010 wheel horse.

Some had the Wheel Horse pressed in the hood.

Thanks for any help that will help this rookie  ID these tractors.

ri702bill

ED - we need pictures. All too often, a previous owner with "good intentions" does a mix-and-match of parts of various years......

953 nut
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I  recently realized how little I know about these tractors.   Is there a way to determine the year of the 1955 - 1960 tractors?

All I can find is the 55 to 57 had the Pond trans mission and the '57 had Wheel Horse embossed in  the hood., 58 to 59 had the 5003 wheel horse, 60 had the 5010 wheel horse. '60 has two levers in a rectangular mounting for the choke and throttle while the '61 has two pull cable knobs.

Some had the Wheel Horse pressed in the hood.

Thanks for any help that will help this rookie  ID these tractors.  Ed,    you ain't no ROOKIE!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart

All RJs had a welded steel front axle.  Suburbans and up had cast.  All RJs also had the three piece transmission.  Some Suburbans had a three piece, some had a two piece.  Those are my first quick identifiers…

• Like 4

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

ED - we need pictures. 

I don't have one Bill.   I'm just trying to educate myself to be able to ID them If I see another one.

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 7:58 AM, WHX?? said:

round hood  or any WH is seen pull the trigger.

There, I fixed it for ya Jimbo.

On 4/25/2024 at 7:22 AM, Pullstart said:

All RJs also had the three piece transmission.

Is this true for the 55-57 RJs....the book shows a Pond Tranny.     Is the WH 5003 the 3 pc. tranny  and the WH 5007, 5010, and 5025 2 pc.?

On 4/25/2024 at 7:03 AM, 953 nut said:

'57 had Wheel Horse embossed in  the hood.

I know the RJ55s did not have the WH name Richard.  What about the 56 and was the RJ57 the first and how many after that ?   My 58 had the WH name

Here is my round hood ID plan.      Please add and correct any data that will help.

YEAR       MODEL          TRANSMISSION                     HOOD                 THROTTLECHOKE             ENGINE                    HP                  FRONT AXLE                    ???????

1955          RJ-35                 pond                                no WH name                                                         B&S                         2.5                     welded

RJ-35                 pond                                no WH name                                                         K-90                         3.5                     welded

RJ-35                 pond                                no WH name                                                    Clinton B-1200              3.6                     welded

1956           RJ-25                 pond                                                                                                               B&S                         2.5                     welded

RJ-35                 pond                                                                                                               K-90                         3.5                     welded

RJ-35                 pond                                                                                                            Clinton B-1200            3.6                     welded

1957           RJ-35                 pond                                WH name                                                               K-90                          3.5                    welded

RJ-35                 pond                                WH name                                                            Clinton  B-200              3.6                  welded

1958           RJ-58              WH 5003    *                        WH name                                                                K-90                         3.5                   welded

RJ-58              WH 5003     *                       WH name                                                          Clinton B-1290               3.6                   welded

1959          RJ -59              WH 5003    *                                                                                                          K-90                         3.5                 welded

RJ-59               WH 5003    *                                                                                                     Clinton B-1290             3.6

1960      Surburban 400     WH 5010     #                                                       levers                                    K-91-31388A               4.0                cast

Surburban 550      WH 5010    #                                                       levers                            Tecumseh H-55B-1170        5.5                cast

1961           401                   WH 5010   #                                                       pull knobs                                  K-91-41437A            4.0

551                   WH 5007    @                                                       pull knobs                        Tecumseh H-55D-2             5.5

701                   WH 5007   @                                                        pull knobs                               K-161S-28622E           7.0

1962   Lawn Ranger  32E    WH 5025    @                                                                                             Tecumseh HT55C-3089       5.5

Lawn Ranger  32R    WH 5025  @                                                                                               Tecumseh HT55C-3088        5.5

*  3 piece  case with vertical brake band tab 

#  3 piece  casewith 45 degree brake band tab

@  2 piece case

Thanks for the help, keep it coming.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Pullstart

Yes, sorry about that Ed Dog!  The RJ25 and RJ35 had the same transmission as the 2 wheeled walk behind Pond Walk Away Jr.

Luckily I have one overhead I can get a good picture for reference :handgestures-thumbupright:

1205138C-F798-4E2D-BB9B-E2B0EBA6723D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

RJ55s did not have the WH name Richard.  What about the 56 and was the RJ57 the first and how many after that

The '57 was a POND drive but Wheel Horse on the hood and the decals, to my knowledge that is the first "Wheel Horse" named garden tractor although Terry sells some Ride-Away Sr. decals that say Wheel Horse.

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Check the Photo Galery Ed...some great  pictures there.  There are a few excellent threads on the 55,56,57 horses...try a search.  :USA:

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Check the Photo Galery Ed...some great  pictures there.  There are a few excellent threads on the 55,56,57 horses...try a search.  :USA:

Thanks Steve, I am still looking and learning.  Being able to ID the transmissions would be a great help in IDing the tractors.   Is there any visible differences in the Wheel Horse   5003, 5007, 5010, and 5025 transmissions ?

wallfish
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Thanks Steve, I am still looking and learning.  Being able to ID the transmissions would be a great help in IDing the tractors.   Is there any visible differences in the Wheel Horse   5003, 5007, 5010, and 5025 transmissions ?

5003 RJ and 5010 Suburban 3 pc trans have the brake band mounting tab in slightly different locations. RJ - the mount tab is vertical and Suburban that mount tab is at 45 deg angle.

5007 trans looks just like a modern 2 pc trans. Same for the 5025

• Thanks 2

Ed Kennell

Tks John,  that is a great help.         Any idea on Wheel Horse embossed hoods.       

55 no

56  ?

57  yes

58   yes

59   ?

60  ?

61 ?

wallfish
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Tks John,  that is a great help.         Any idea on Wheel Horse embossed hoods.       

55 no

56  ?

57  yes

58   yes

59   ?YES

60  ?YES

61 ?YES

Hoods are different from RJ, (400 & 550) (401 & 501)  Throttle choke controls are different on each 

Are you getting interested in little ball burner round hoods? Or just want to recognize what you see when coming across them?

We can go over some of things to look for at the big show so you can recognize the models from sight

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
21 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Hoods are different from RJ, (400 & 550) (401 & 501)  Throttle choke controls are different on each 

Richard gave me some info on this

just want to recognize what you see when coming across them?    Yes, for myself and my 92 yo neighbor and WH collector Mr. Charlie Cordray

We can go over some of things to look for at the big show so you can recognize the models from sight.     Great idea,,,see ya there.

• Like 2

wh315-8
Posted (edited)

The 64 hood, I call a teardrop hood was used on the 603 Special & 64-68 Lawn Rangers.

The 61 hood solid grill was unique to the 701 with own style decal.

my typing was wrong should be late 56-58 with Wheel-Horse front. Also decals were different on 55, 56, 57, 58-59

IMG_5513.jpeg

Edited by wh315-8
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Tell ya what Ed Dog all joking aside this is good ref tra for us old salts... what we called refresher training in the Navy ... :)

• Like 2

wallfish
5 hours ago, wh315-8 said:

The 61 hood

Nice display of hoods!

FYI

The one tagged for 60-61 is a 1960 only hood. 400 and 550. The throttle / choke lever controls go in that square hole.

In 61 that same area is a round hole with hole plug in it and the controls are push/pull type and located up near the steering shaft hole. 401 551

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, wh315-8 said:

The 64 hood, I call a teardrop hood was used on the 603 Special & 64-68 Lawn Rangers.

The 61 hood solid grill was unique to the 701 with own style decal.

my typing was wrong should be late 56-58 with Wheel-Horse front. Also decals were different on 55, 56, 57, 58-59

IMG_5513.jpeg

A lot of ID info there.        Is it safe to say only 57-58 hoods were no riibs solid fronts with no grill openings with Wheel Horse embossed and 60& 61 were ribbed with solid fronts and Wheel Horse name embossed name and 62,63, &64 were ribbed with slotted grill and Wheel Horse name embossed

953 nut
13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

A lot of ID info there.        Is it safe to say only 57-58 59 hoods were no riibs solid fronts with no grill openings with Wheel Horse embossed and 60& 61 were ribbed with solid fronts and Wheel Horse name embossed name and 62,63, &64 were ribbed with slotted grill and Wheel Horse name embossed

• Thanks 1

wh315-8
15 hours ago, wallfish said:

Nice display of hoods!

FYI

The one tagged for 60-61 is a 1960 only hood. 400 and 550. The throttle / choke lever controls go in that square hole.

In 61 that same area is a round hole with hole plug in it and the controls are push/pull type and located up near the steering shaft hole. 401 551

Yes your correct. The 61 had a plug put in place of the levers.

wh315-8
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

A lot of ID info there.        Is it safe to say only 57-58 hoods were no riibs solid fronts with no grill openings with Wheel Horse embossed and 60& 61 were ribbed with solid fronts and Wheel Horse name embossed name and 62,63, &64 were ribbed with slotted grill and Wheel Horse name embossed

Yes, 57-59 were same some of 56. 55-early 56 had no logo on front.

Edited by wh315-8
  • Like 1

OoPEZoO

Speaking on details of round hoods….the RJ58 I picked up from Ed earlier in the week has a few small holes in the hood.  As in, 1/16” evenly spaced intentionally drilled holes, some on the front, some on the sides.  I think I’ve counted 15 or so.  I don’t recall seeing them on other RJs, but I’ve honestly never payed that close attention until I had one in the garage.  Are these normal, or should I add it to the list of body work repair?

IMG_2934.jpeg

Ed Kennell
13 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

Are these normal, or should I add it to the list of body work repair?

I'm no round hood expert Keith, but I am learning from this thread.     IMO, those are Fe2O3 holes and need to be repaired.    I think the only holes in that hood should be the four for the fuel tank straps and the two for the throttle control, and the three that bolt to the frame.    Those two holes in front of the throttle were from a tool box that the PO added.

• Like 1

wh315-8

So to add to the round hood history lesson, here are the decals used by the year.

IMG_5521.jpeg

• Like 1