eibbed

Kohler CH20S for Wheel Horse 520xi

eibbed

Hello, I don't know if I am in the right place or not.........

I have a Wheel Horse 520xi with a Kohler CH20S engine that starts, runs for 2-3 seconds and stops.  

I had it running and cut my lawn and my neighbor used it and ran out of gas and it then wouldn't start again.

I replaced the fuel filter and gas streams from it. Still won't stay started. I replaced the fuel pump and still won't stay started.

I'm not sure what to do next.    If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you, Debbie Redick

JoeM

Debbie I will try to give you some help here. 

In the picture there is a hose that leads from the fuel pump to the carb. It would be best to take the hose off at the carb, blue circled fitting, and place it in a water bottle and confirm that fuel is indeed making it to the carb. 

image.png.19ed57ca077315033aff93e1ae112f1f.png

When you crank the engine over you should get a stream of gas from the hose, if so need to head into the carb. If not got to go to the tank. 

Let us know what you find.

eibbed

Joe, Thank you for your reply! I did check this hose and there was gas streaming from it.

gwest_ca

Is there a chance the ignition switch has failed?

It can power the ignition with the key in the START position but not power the ignition in the key RUN position. This would have the engine roll to a stop when the key is released from START.

eibbed

Well I never thought about this. I have noticed several times when I turn the key nothing happens and then the next time the engine tries to turn over.

JoeM
2 hours ago, eibbed said:

I did check this hose and there was gas streaming from it

that is a good thing 

and maybe like Gary said could be electrical as the carb has a solenoid that turns off the fuel to the main jet. It is used as a anti backfire devise.

If you have some way of testing for power a 12V test light can be used on the violet wire at fuse 2 when the key is in the run position there will be power to the violet wire and to the solenoid so it open and gas flows to the main jet. You can, if it is very quiet, put your ear near the back of the carb and hear a click when the key is turned to run. 

image.png.ff8f693e6d3b98b02e65ef362d4e2ee8.png

If that is all working then you will have to remove the top of the carb and it is very simple.

Remove the fuel line and take out the 4 Philips head screws two are shown in red others are on the other side and easy to get to. lift straight up and that will allow the choke linkage blue to be removed after you lift it up. Be careful cause there are jet tubes that will come up with the top of the carb. That will allow you to look and see if gas in in the bowl. I will try to get some pic of one off tomorrow and post later on tomorrow evening. In the mean time maybe you can get a handle on the power checks. 

image.png.98d0b03d43fb759b7314eeb8147de8ee.png

eibbed

Thank you Joe! I will check this tomorrow.

• Like 1

OoPEZoO

Seat switches on the 5xi tractors are notorious for problems as well. Every one I have ever looked at has been bypassed…..including my own. Worth a quick check, or just jump it for troubleshooting purposes 

eibbed

Thank you gentlemen once again!!

I found the culprit!  It was the 25amp fuse!!  Who would think something so little and simple would cause all of my problems?

Joe, I was getting ready to check the wires at the fuses and I thought why not check the fuses first and there it was!! 

Let me tell you, it was a    Thank You Jesus moment!!!!!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the input from all of you!!

Thank you, Debbie

• Excellent 1

OoPEZoO

Nice….love it when it’s something “easy”

eibbed

Easy fixes don't happen very often so I appreciate it when I have one.  LOL

• Like 1