Ketche22

onan 16hp electrical gremlin

Ketche22

Hey all,

Late 70's D-160 with onan engine.  Having electrical issues currently that I can't seen to track down.  I'm wondering if it could be the voltage rectifier?  So, Battery is charged and new 12.6V at the terminals, tractor was running and stalled.  I went to restart it and nothing, no accessory power or starter engagement.  Thinking it might have been the original ignition switch failing, I replaced that.  I still have the same issue, testing with a meter I have power to the key when turned off, but the lights and and electric fuel pump I use to start it have no power, and the starter won't turn over.  Fuses are fine, most of the safety switches have been by passed be the previous owner.could the rectifier be the cause? or do I need to try and track down a either a missing connection or bad terminal?  I do not see any obvious wires that have come loose or disconnected 

.  Thanks 

gwest_ca

Ketche22

Thanks. I have the wiring diagram and original manuals, neither is helping to isolate the issue plus the fact the wiring has been cut and spliced by previous owners in some areas and not exactly matching original due to inline fuses & safety switch deletes. 

953 nut
11 hours ago, Ketche22 said:

could the rectifier be the cause? or do I need to try and track down a either a missing connection or bad terminal?

The rectifier only provides recharge to the battery as needed, it is not your problem.

784672117_1electrical.jpg.486c5bd19f3364405302667929d7cf3f.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ketche22 said:

and not exactly matching original due to inline fuses & safety switch deletes. 

I would immediately suspect that one of these hacks has failed.

Being a bit overly methodical myself, I’d start by creating an “as exists now” wiring diagram, starting with a copy of the factory version, to guide me in debugging.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1