Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

help with c 160 auto

can whlvr

I recently picked picked up a c160 auto,1975,with a blower,weights mid grader blade chainsand a spare mule drive,when i picked up the machine it worked great,so much torque i almost went over the back and it lifted the front of the tractor off the ground with ease,then all of a sudden nothing,to the lift or wheels,it is not the plastic plate or the brakes because i have all the linkage apart,i now have the wheels up on stands and the wheels spin a little but i can hold them with the cam engaged and obviously i should not be able to do that,it sounds like grinding inside when i force the direction cam,it is not low on fluid now but was because the lift cykiunder leaks like crazy,but thats another story,any body ever pull the valves out,it is not the tow valve either i took it out it looked alright,any help would be appreciated.

016-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

can whlvr

Well i see there are not very many opinions on the auto machines,so i dove into the pump myself after reading the manual i got in the downloads of wheelhorse manuals,so i found this ring torn apart that goes around the pistons,i found no other damage at all,luckey for me no metal shavings,no bad o rings,which i would like to replace if possible,does any body know of a place to order sundstrand parts,i would really appreciate some help if anyone has any expeince with this,thanks

001-7.jpg

002-8.jpg

004-5.jpg

008-5.jpg

nylyon

Check the links section, I think that there may be a couple of places who may carry some parts.

pfrederi

Try a hydraulic shop. Parts are still available but the piston/cylinder and brass valve plate are only sold as an assembly and it is around $400. I do not know if teh ring you show is available separately.

can whlvr

Thanks for the reply,400 DOLLARS,i got the tractor,wheelhorse #50 weights,snowblower,grader blade chains for alot less than that,i can buy a c120 auto with a chaep china motor only 6.5,hp,that has a working tranny and i also need the correct rear tires,the 22s dont look right,it also has some good body panels,i just need to learn about the valve control,how or what to hook up to make the lift work any body have any knowledge of this retrofit i would be appreciative of this.

can whlvr

Well i took the pump to a friend of o neighbor who does hydrostatic units of any size,mostly large units but sundstrand is there specialty,it turns out the pistons have rounded edges so that is why the retainer broke,it allows the pistins to slightly shift,im awaiting a quote but i am hopeful that the cylinder blocks are ok,the teck said for 34 years old it looks pretty good,i like this c160auto but she is rapidly turning into a huge money pit.

pfrederi

I hope it works out for you. My guy said you had to get the pistons and cylinder block as a set....If you find out differently please let us know...

can whlvr

Turns out that the hydrostatic guy can lap the valves and the top of the cylinder block,i can buy the retianer ring separatly,so im sure if he could get them separatly or not,she needs two rings,bearings,lapped parts retainer clip and some orings,gaskets,and this will probally kill 500 cash,ill know tomorow and tell you guys

can whlvr

Well i got the c160 auto back together,with new hydro line,filter,oil gaskets,springs,new belt and had to fix the infamous frame cracking,i think this is due to hard shifting back and forth,no plow marks on the axel so i think.Here are some pics of the new to the herd 1975 c160auto,she runs really nice after alot of work to her,i would NEVER do another auto,to much to go wrong and very hard to diagnose,but i really like it,it is incredibally strong,and very fast and the lift is strong and holds the 42 " deck for at least two days and didnt b udge an iota,the po didnt spend a dime on this machine,the air filter was torn,yes the interior filter not the foam cover,a cheap oil filter,not the proper one the list goes on,well here are some pics of the beast after i cut the lawn with it for the first time,IT Was great,should be it cost me 600 so far for this tractor,not including the implements.010-1.jpg012-2.jpg013-4.jpg

pfrederi

Glad you got the hydro fixed with out having to sell your first born :scratchead:

oldandred

Man thats great to know they can still be fixed

Suburban 550

Great to see it up and running strong. :scratchead: Never did care much for the hydros. Just my opinion. :hide:

kpinnc

i would NEVER do another auto,to much to go wrong and very hard to diagnose

Sorry to hear you had hydro problems Don. I thought the way you did once myself, as my first hydro was a disaster.

Of course, I've changed my mind. I have 5 different ones now, both Sundstrand and Eaton- ranging 25+ years of production. Personally, I really like these machines. Every once in a while you get a bad one, but that's just as true with any old machine like these tractors- whether it be engine, transmission, or even implement problems. The simple truth about them is that as long as they were serviced, or at best left completely alone (I've got a couple that I doubt were EVER serviced), they last a very long time.

At any rate, the tractor you've got now should last another 20+ years. Just keep the fluid and filter changed!

Good luck!

Kevin

can whlvr

well i got the bugs out of this unit,i have had it more torn apart than some of my weekend specials,but i REALLY love this unit,the hydro lift is really nice when plowing the driveway,dont have to rip up the gravel first just add some down pressure,i bought a second one for parts but i think down the road i might redo it also.

bitten

Don:

Glad you got it all worked out.That is a nice one and Im sure you are going to have a great time with it.

P.J. :scratchead: