Keithwidney

B&S 16hp cast iron

Keithwidney

I bought a Montgomery ward with a loader. The kid said it had no spark. He claims to have changed the coil pick up.i am trying to figure out what everything is. I noticed this and can’t figure out what it is. I’m also missing a the runner driveshaft puck, will a mtd tractor one work. 

IMG_0076.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

IMG_0064.jpeg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

We have B&S service manuals. What is the model number? or is it a flat head? 

Twin cylinder or single?

Achto
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Keithwidney said:

He claims to have changed the coil pick up.i am trying to figure out what everything is.

If he installed a B&S 398811 or equivalent coil to switch it to a solid state ignition system. The coil would need to be installed backwards on the engine in order to work. I.E. if the coil has markings that say cylinder side, this would have to face away from the cylinder. Reason behind this is the the poles on the flywheel magnets of a cast iron Briggs are opposite that of an aluminum Briggs.

If the above coil was not installed, I would suggest installing one. Cut the wire that goes to the points but leave the points installed to plug off any oil leaks. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Keithwidney

Keithwidney

From what I have found it had a bridge rectifier for the charging/ starting system.not to familiar with this system.it looks like everything is missing on my engine. Is it missing or was it by chance modified ?

gwest_ca