Sparky

Resurrecting a 414-8

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Sparky said:

PTO

WOW is that rough!!

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

minus the seat, how the heck does that get swapped?

3/8 hex "nut driver". Sockets are almost always too large an outer diameter. 

• Thanks 1

Sparky
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

3/8 hex "nut driver". Sockets are almost always too large an outer diameter. 

Was actually thinking about buying a cheap Harbor Freight 3/8 socket and grinding it down. 

• Like 1

wallfish
9 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Was actually thinking about buying a cheap Harbor Freight 3/8 socket and grinding it down. 

99% of the time there's no need to change that valve seat. It's a waste of time in my opinion. The Kohler pin has a rubber tip so it will conform to most of those very tiny abrasions that could possibly leak with a complete steel pin type.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

99% of the time there's no need to change that valve seat. It's a waste of time in my opinion. The Kohler pin has a rubber tip so it will conform to most of those very tiny abrasions that could possibly leak with a complete steel pin type.  :twocents-02cents:

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I change em because I have the parts tools every time but John has a valid point. 

Likely no need for 90% or more. 

I DO make it a requirement to use genuine Kohler carb kits now. 

I've seen several aftermarket parts kits with differing seats. 

I've stopped using them after seeing some fail prematurely or even not seal when brand new. 

Keaton

this is the first time seing this post, but for the engine on my lawn ranger there was a lot of cabon, i got the shop vac out and a plastic razor blade and a small plastic scaper and went to town on that making shure the valuves were both closes, i have not surfaced or plained a head before, my lawn ranger is just about done, i need a recoil spring and will see if it will fire, and my 701 when i opened it up i also found a mouse nest 

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Sparky   like your recovery ! noting your carb , grunge . also clean out the fuel tank ?  new valve ?  realize this is a , very sensitive issue , but  since , adding  STA BIL  to all my fuels , I have zero  debris / crud in my carbs , also have 2 filters  in the line , one close to tank  another close to carb , both filters are clean / clear , telling you  something ? add  1 ounce to every tank  refill after use , stand by generator , snow blower , carbs are all clean . Stabil is a storage fuel additive , another thing is that there is zero fuel hose breakdown , nothing . BTW  your PTO clutch clutch plate , area , is great for lucas , green grease , also take off the brake pad on that , my engagement is very smooth / solid / quiet . trouble starts , next to battery , sloppy mount point . good job on that , pete