23 Reo

Can't Get My Screws Loose

23 Reo

I'm having a heck of a time getting my fan screen bolts out. I've been spraying with Kroil and also shocking the screws with a #3 phillips and a large hammer. This method has worked in the past but no luck this time. 

Pullstart

Depending on your screwdriver handle, it may just fit a box end wrench.  Hang one on there and keep tapping.  Maybe a little pressure down on the wrench.  Pipe wrench, big crescent, etc…

• Thanks 1

leabassett@sbcglobal.net

I use a impact driver.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Manual Impact Driver. 

Amazing how well they work.  

I got one several years ago  because it was recommended by several people on this site. 

Definitely one of my better investments.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Oh and ...

TIGHTEN it first!!

Then loosen just ONE click. 

Repeat. 

Repeat. 

Repeat. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc

And square bits grip better than phillips. Just be aware if it strips with a square bit, it's not coming out...

0006_E0101-SL02-C-2-Stainless-Driver-Bit.png

• Thanks 1

Blasterdad
36 minutes ago, 23 Reo said:

I'm having a heck of a time getting my fan screen bolts out. I've been spraying with Kroil and also shocking the screws with a #3 phillips and a large hammer. This method has worked in the past but no luck this time. 

:text-yeahthat:

All are great proven methods, just be careful hitting the flywheel too hard, it can break and/or dislodge the magnets. If one of the screws does strip out I've cut a slot in them before with an angle grinder & used a big flat screwdriver. If that fails I resort to welding a small nut on it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44
48 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Manual Impact Driver. 

Amazing how well they work.  

I got one several years ago  because it was recommended by several people on this site. 

Definitely one of my better investments.  

• Thanks 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Blasterdad said:

resort to welding a small nut on it. 

The heat may help loosen. 

I have twisted the heads off tho. :sad:

20240326_144241.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

87 416-8 horse

I’ve had luck with heating them up and instantly spraying penetrating oil on them. And then hit them with a manual impact like EB said.

IMG_2268.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

. If one of the screws does strip out I've cut a slot in them before with an angle grinder & used a big flat screwdriver. 

I've taken many out by grinding a slot.    Not sure, but the heat and vibration from the grinding may also help.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

The phillips head makes a rather good centering device to drill out the old bolt with a 13/64" bit and re-tap the 1/4-20 threads. Once you snap off the head it is much more difficult to center the bit.      :twocents-02cents:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

snap off the head it is much more difficult to center the bit. 

Ask me how I know... :hide: :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

I’ve had luck with heating them up and instantly spraying penetrating oil on them. And then hit them with a manual impact like EB said.

IMG_2268.webp 6.79 kB · 0 downloads

I have an old chunk of paraffin wax sitting in my torch tray.  That heat pulls in the wax and lubes the threads well.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@23 Reo https://www.ottofrei.com/products/irwin-4-mini-locking-vise-grips  use this , or similar , with  side jaw grip, for best bite , then tapping the  back side of the plyer  with  light hammer , solid grip / no play / bounce  should do it . picture of grip is only a reference  to plyer size / type , the more solid your grip , the more impact effect it will have .  pipefitter approved , pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ranger

If you don’t have an impact driver, you could try a cordless drill driver. Set on slow speed, screwdriver mode. Run in reverse with the clutch adjusted at a low setting,, plenty of pressure, and see if the shocking loosens it. You can up the clutch setting as long as the bit doesn’t slip in the screw head. You never know, it might work!

• Thanks 1

Gasaholic

One I don't see mentioned but have used in the past especially on those where the screwdriver slot stripped out - sharpen up a  small cold chisel and use that to work around the edges/sides of the screw - often was enough to pop them loose so they'd unthread by hand... and those that were more stubborn, works to shave "flats" on either side of the screw where you can then grip it with vise-grips.  It does take a little bit of a "feel" for the right angle and right amount of hammering to shock them loose without breaking a fin (Which I have never done) - I tended to aim the chisel along the length of the fin (parallel to the fin instead of perpendicular across)  - with a good sharp cold chisel (the screws aren't hardened steel - relatively soft metal) it doesn't take long - after they are out they get replaced (if the cross slots are cammed out) or cleaned up at the grinder and then cut slots across (or grind square flats on the sides for an open end wrench to grip) 

• Thanks 1