OutdoorEnvy

First Corn Field attempt!

oliver2-44

Critter Control:

I suspect you also could have rabbits with that creek near. They like tender young plants!

Each time you go get a haircut take a trash bag with you and bring home a bag full of hair sweepings.  Sprinkle them around for the human scent.

Live traps work great, but I've never been brave enough to open that trap with it alive and hissing at me.

So a pellet rifle or these finish the job. 

I set the trap a day or 2 before trash day so I don't have to worry with disposal.

Federal Auto Match 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Rimfire Ammo

• Like 4

OutdoorEnvy

There might be rabbits but I haven't seen one in years.  Used to have a decent amount but trail cam pics confirmed a bobcat moved in as a regular and haven't seen any rabbits in years.  Raccoons though show up by the droves.  Have one pic with 13 different ones in the same shot.  Didn't think about live trapping, perhaps a fur hat side hustle is in order for my son.  

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

I live trap, but they tend to come down with lead poison ping before I open the cage.  Must be something in the water?  As for the tires, weight might be a better option than different tires.  With that said, ribbed tires really can’t be beat for anything I do on a Horse.  They don’t tear up a lawn, they don’t slide like a turf tire.  And more weight.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  the garden looks good!  

• Like 1

953 nut
21 hours ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

would like advice for critter control and specifically with raccoons if anyone has some to offer.

Get a skunk to move into your garden area, racoons will be out of there in a heartbeat!       We had a skunk move into our place a few years back and haven't seen a coon since.         As for how you get a skunk to move in        :confusion-shrug:    can't help you here, he just happened to show up,

• Haha 2

OutdoorEnvy
52 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

As for how you get a skunk to move in        :confusion-shrug:    can't help you here, he just happened to show up,

LOL!  Sounds like another live trapping job for the boy…hope mom doesn’t find out

• Haha 2

pfrederi

When we first move out here 23 years ago we planted corn in our garden protects by chicken wire down low and electric above.  Corn grew nicely got big and started to mature...Crows got it all.  haven't wasted our time since the farmer down the hill has a big field of it and we get what we want cheap...

• Like 3

Tim.0

I grow sweet corn for road side sale, electric fence. (4 inches or so off ground) You could trap, but there will be more and more. The coon will not come untill after the corn tassels. Once the corn tassels takes approx 21 days to get corn. I fence about 10 to 15 days in advance of getting corn ot 10 or so days after tassel. the coon will smell the corn once closer to harvest. Only way I can figure it out. I use steel t post for corners and plastic 4ft post for straight runs. If you could find used fencer and used small gauge wire (wind up tightner)(need grounding rod or maybe use gavanized fence i see in picture)the small gauge wire will tighten easier. Kinda expensive for such a small area but a family coon take night or 2 demolish that area. Coon will eat part of a ear then knock the next plant down and soon have it all knocked over. I have my electric wire on extesion cord wheels so I just roll out the wire and reroll it up.(small gauge wire I use piece wood cut use it roll wire up and roll out)I use mostly polytape just easier to work with and a higher mile fencer more resistance in polytape due to several stainless steel wires.in the poly tape. If you plan on to keep growing sweet corn the equipment will eventually pay for itself.(expensive for small area)

If you want really sweet sweet corn use a augmented variaty as there is different types, Su, SE,  SE/sh2, sh2,HSC, SSW, etc.....Aug/sh2 aug in more tender has alot of sugar great for freezing holds sugar content well. SE/Sh2 or SH2 is good also kernels when ripe bit more crisp (harder) bit less sugar. Sh2 varieties need warm soil to plant or seed possibly rot if wet and cold soil.

Deer i gave up on them, they just jump the fence, they like to eat the small ears, plants, Turkeys like to go down the rows and eat the small plants and or after seeeding go down the rows and eat the seed.

I go out with daughter and fence 1/2 acre in about 2 to 3 hours depending on problems, fence is up about 2 to 3 weeks take it down, move to next field, I grow 1.5 acres. 4 different plantings if everything works out. I have enough fence for acre.

Also I have lots rabbits dont have problem with them in sweet corn, but they go after the vege garden thats a different fence alltogether.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Tim.0
Posted (edited)

Just a note 30 inch rows 8 to 10 inch apart depending on your soil you may need to side dress abit of nitrogen, maybe you fertilized? fairly heavy seed count for small area ........oops i see you fertilized ... anyway depending rain, etc you may need side dress.....I side dress give nitrogen when the plants need it...heavy rain can wash nitrogen out soil. 

Edited by Tim.0
  • Like 1