oliver2-44

Big Block Kohler Aluminum Bbearing Plate, Starter Generator vs Modern Electric Starter.

oliver2-44

I'm collecting parts to build a Kohler Starter generator engine.  

Are the Kohler big block aluminum bearing plates for starter generator engines the same size as the ones for the newer electric starter engines. 

Here a picture of a newer electric starter bearing plate. 

1082597565_IMG_17021.JPG.f07f8d8938c5389d54c1d594e65f9c64.JPG

I know it has the curves cutout for the starter, but is it a bigger diameter to make room for the ring gear.

if there's no difference except the curved notch then am i correct i could use a newer plate with the older flywheel sheetmetal shroud and starter generator pulley? 

953 nut

The K-241 aluminum bearing plate has a timing hole (left side) that can be used for checking the timing with a timing light, otherwise they seem to be the same.

626223667_100_3724(1).JPG.cdb42c40288a93b5146f39ca52de4cd7.JPG

• Like 2

squonk
Posted (edited)

There is a difference in the crankshaft taper through the years. You may need to use the flywheel from the electric starter engine. You would have to remove the ring gear to use the generator style sheet metal. I've converted 2 of these and had to swap around fly wheels once. 

Edited by squonk

oliver2-44
14 minutes ago, squonk said:

You would have to remove the ring gear to use the generator style sheet metal. 

Am I correct to read this to indicate the bearing player are different diameters. Smaller for the generator style since there is no ring gear and smaller sheet metal l

squonk
27 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

Am I correct to read this to indicate the bearing player are different diameters. Smaller for the generator style since there is no ring gear and smaller sheet metal l

I am not sure on the plate. All I know is I purchased a rebuilt K 321 short block of unknown year. I tried using a flywheel off of a 67 starter generator engine. The flywheel went on to the crankshaft too far. When the nut was torqued the flywheel hit the bearing plate. I had to use a flywheel that had the ring gear. I cut a slice in the gear and it came right off. I didn't try the generator style sheet metal with the ring gear still on it.

WHX??

Interesting you should be trying to do this Ollie... :popcorn:

oliver2-44
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Interesting you should be trying to do this Ollie... :popcorn:

Currently just trying to figuring out what parts to gather. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

The Wheel Horse K-241 and the Cub Cadet K241 don't have the same size flywheel of Sheetmetal although they are both the same size oil pans. I picked up a CC engine as part of a bundle and the head was about the only thing that was the same

:confusion-confused:   I think you will need the flywheel from a S/G engine because of the mounting points for the pulley and the timing mark location.

squonk

I used a more modern flywheel for my K 321 starter gen conversion. Pulley from the 953 bolted right up and the timing marks altho in a different location than the old flywheel, they timed the engine perfectly.

• Like 1