AHS

82 B+S 11hp ignition kill relay

AHS

The ignition kill relay was not hooked up, so I wanted to see if it worked. So, ignition on there is supposed to be power at the green wire (im guessing?) with the ignition off, its grounded? So I hooked a battery up to the S, and i heard a click coming from the ignition kill box.. I got (from the B ) 38V. The “click” lasted two times and then I got (the battery voltage) 12V from the B. Is the ignition kill relay toast? How much power am i supposed to get from the relay?

C9C6CAB6-5515-4732-9824-468AB41E8CD4.jpeg

493FFA52-EF90-4A5A-9603-5604AA75412E.jpeg

8019412B-C865-4915-B35B-D9F3C41CCABE.jpeg

gwest_ca

The green wire goes to the magneto. When that wire is grounded it shuts the ignition off. Do not allow any battery voltage into that wire - it will release the magic smoke in the magneto.

When the brown wire from the pto switch powers the relay coil (rectangular box) it becomes a magnet and opens the contacts breaking the circuit that grounds the magneto green wire = engine runs

What is confusing is this system uses an ignition switch we normally use for battery type of ignition to control the magneto ignition because they added the relay.

• Like 2

squonk

With key on power should be on the "S" terminal. This powers the coil in the relay and pulls the contact away from ground so the engine can run. When you turn the key off the contact reverses. grounding the "B" terminal. The mag kill wire should go to "B" 

• Like 1

AHS

Ok!! So, the old owner drilled the metal and used a on/off switch to ground the green wire. By the wiring diagram you have to be sitting on the seat and the PTO  engaged to start it. The old owner must have the seat switch or the PTO was screwy.  I want it wired right! Ill have to find another one of those ignition kill relays. 

gwest_ca

Take a look at the wiring here. Click on the picture and the 4th illustration shows the pto ON.

1982 did not have the relay and used a different ignition switch designed for magneto ignition.

Can you post the model number and serial number?

AHS

I have a 990 key switch and a toggle switch. Is there anyway I can do this with just 1 key switch? Like the 991? Im just shooting in the dark!  Here’s my serial #. 40 years old and I can read the serial #!!:)

928F6693-8D3D-4620-B964-44E3139214B7.jpeg

953 nut

The 103-990 is compatible with the wiring of your safety switches. The majority of Wheel Horses made in 1982 were battery ignition and rather than having two different wiring harnesses for the same year Wheel Horse used a kill relay on the Briggs magneto ignition models. If you used a 103-991 switch you would need to rewire the whole tractor.

You could do away with the old Kill relay and replace it with an off-the-shelf unit from any auto parts store.

• Like 2

AHS

That’s what ill use! Mini automotive relay! I knew there had to be something like that somewhere! Thank you!!

• Thanks 1