JimSraj

What makes them ‘Special ‘

JimSraj
Posted (edited)

The following Reference #s and Part # are described as’Special’ washers for over and under the blades as well as above the Idler Support Bar, on a 78345 deck.

Ref #           Part#.                     Description 

29.               3256-28.               Washer - Special ( goes under the blades)

32.               107675.                 Washer - Special ( goes above Idler Support Bar)

33.               920257.                Washer x Special. (goes above the blades)
Anyone know what is it that makes them ‘Special’?

Edited by JimSraj
Added text
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

I do not know the answer but suspect it is a washer with specific dimensions other than the industry standard SAE and USS flat washers.

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

Some were bent a  special way   Like the washer under the knob on the front mule drive adjustment for the mower deck. 

• Like 1

JCM

Wave Washer for shock absorption  ?

• Like 2

JimSraj

My thinking (guessing) was that they may be, as gwest says special dimension, but the wave washer (bent in a special way) is a good possibility also. 
I was hoping someone with an original (if there is such a thing) 78345 deck might chime in. Both of the ones I have came to me with only one washer below the blade and the ones on the support bars are beat so can’t tell much about them. 

• Like 1

kpinnc

There are also a couple hardened washers on 300 series machines. No clue why. 

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

I just sharpened blades on this deck last week and did take a picture of the blades with one washer and not.   This goes on top the blade but there is a much thinner one used under the blade.  My pic would be of the #33. Washer on top.  But #29 is the under blade washer.  They are different and “special” since Toro made them so!

IMG_4499.jpeg

IMG_4498.jpeg

IMG_4500.jpeg

• Like 3

lynnmor

It is the thickness and hardness of the washers that make them special.  You don't want thin or wear parts made of soft metal.

JimSraj

Anyone have a source for these?  Both of the decks I have came with only 1 washer, that I would say is thick and has an od that is smaller than I’d expect wrt its I’d.  They also seem to be harder than regular washers available at hardware stores. 
Any thoughts on #32 (107675) washer on the idler bar?

cleat

The #32 (107675) washer on the idler bar is made of plastic, likely nylon.

Same material the spacer/bushing #11 (107674) is made from.

JimSraj

Cleat you are correct, the bushing and washer for the idler bar are some sort of nylon, neoprene or other plastic. I was able to source them from Whitehall Turf, a local shop that sells and repairs equipment. The washer that goes above the blade is no longer available through Toro. Probably going to just use regular 3/4” washer there and keep an eye on them. 
Thanks to you and all the others that offered help.