pfrederi

People hold on to Wheel Horses??

pfrederi

Previewed a local auction this morning.  Must have been 75 or more Garden Tractors.  Ever brand you can think of, some in good shape, some scrap material...only 2 Wheel Horses and one of those is the rusted out hulk of an electro trac that was left over from the fall auction and sat out all winter...

Guess Wheel Horses are keepers...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Previewed a local auction this morning.  Must have been 75 or more Garden Tractors.  Ever brand you can think of, some in good shape, some scrap material...only 2 Wheel Horses and one of those is the rusted out hulk of an electro trac that was left over from the fall auction and sat out all winter...

I've seen similar up here too.  

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

48 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've seen similar up here too.  

Some might say hoarders... ya know... C-160's etc... 

:ychain:

• Haha 9

Brockport Bill

like many members I find it interesting to see here on RdSq,  or on FB, etc what model WH's are posted for sale... as well as where geographically? It is interesting to see what models are routinely available in supply, while others are rarely seen as available? Of course that leads to obvious wondering -- are there just very few of certain models that were manufactured  -- and/or -- are certain models highly preferred and therefore "held" and simply owners keep in their herd or just to pass down through family -- or of course, is it combo of both factors? I've always hoped somewhere we could find the WH historical sales records of how many were manufactured of each model? When I look at the master list from WH and see certian models were made only one yr then its clear there was a limited distribution versus other models made for multiple yrs plus clearly WH created a significant supply. My first WH i bought new in 89 was 312-8 - which is a model seemingly always in significant re-sale supply -- I suppose WH felt they had great mid line product and made many 312s -- other models just seem very rare to find?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
37 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Some might say hoarders... ya know... C-160's etc... 

:ychain:

MEEE ??!!??

Just because I have six now and I'm looking at another one??!??

• Haha 3

kpinnc
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Just because I have six now and I'm looking at another one??!??

Ummm... YES!!! :lol:

I think 312s and 520-H models were sold in huge numbers here. Older ones here are almost always C120s. Seems the 16hps in both Kohler and Onan flavors were more rare. And Lawn Rangers... Oodles of those at one time. Other round hoods are unicorns in my area. 

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
16 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Ummm... YES!!! :lol:

I think 312s and 520-H models were sold in huge numbers here. Older ones here are almost always C120s. Seems the 16hps in both Kohler and Onan flavors were more rare. And Lawn Rangers... Oodles of those at one time. Other round hoods are unicorns in my area. 

re: 16 hp Kohler ----- will periodically see c165-8   ----  but seeing a 165h is rare

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
7 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Guess Wheel Horses are keepers..

You can pry it from my cold dead hands…

• Heart 5

T-Mo

There are some areas of the country that Wheel Horse did not have as many dealers as other brands.  I have been on this forum long enough to see posts from members who claim that they can't find a Wheel Horse due to it's limited market share it had in that area.  There other areas where the opposite was true, Wheel Horse had a strong presence and had a lot of dealers at one time.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

There are some areas of the country that Wheel Horse did not have as many dealers as other brands.  I have been on this forum long enough to see posts from members who claim that they can't find a Wheel Horse due to it's limited market share it had in that area.  There other areas where the opposite was true, Wheel Horse had a strong presence and had a lot of dealers at one time.

Well said T-Mo. Last I knew the Mississippi River was the line it started to fall off. 

Edited by Retired Wrencher
  • Like 1

Brockport Bill
1 hour ago, T-Mo said:

agreed -- today's higher supply seems to mirror the footprint location of the density of dealers from years ago - especially Indiana, Pa, Ohio etc

• Like 1

pfrederi

Interestingly the Father of the two brothers running the auction owned Northeast Equipment ...it was a Wheel horse dealership located less than a mile from the auction site...

• Like 1