CCW

Seat repair

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)

I have rebuilt several two cushion seats, but never a molded seat.     Very interested to see this project.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

87 416-8 horse

Good luck! Keep us updated. I need to do the same to my seat.

• Like 2

Achto

:popcorn:I'm in

• Like 3

lynnmor

I contacted two companies that do all kinds of upholstery including motorcycle and snowmobile seats, they wouldn't tackle a molded high back tractor seat.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

leabassett@sbcglobal.net

I will keep a eye on this as I need to do my seat to.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

Me too. 

Love the upcycle office chair idea!

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, CCW said:

The seat on my 312-8 has seen better days so I decided to reupholster it myself.  Expecting this project to take me some time to complete a temporary seat has been put in place.  On CL I found an architect's desk chair for $10.  Removing the seat it has been mounted to the seat bracket of the 312-8 to keep the tractor usable until I can complete my project.  As I do the job I will take photos and outline what I do and how.

Chair04.jpg

Chair01.jpg

Chair03.jpg

CCW there is a seat on F/B in market place just like that for $50. Just saying if you would like to look at it. I think it is in Pa. It is also on C/list.

Edited by Retired Wrencher
  • Like 2

CCW

@Retired Wrencher 

Thanks for FB shoutout.  Since it is PA it would cost as much a new seat once I paid for gas there and back.  More importantly it is project I just want take on myself.

• Like 1

Handy Don

:popcorn:

Good luck!

• Like 1

Achto
16 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I contacted two companies that do all kinds of upholstery including motorcycle and snowmobile seats, they wouldn't tackle a molded high back tractor seat.

If you ordered 1000 of them they might. :D

• Haha 1

Retired Wrencher
6 hours ago, CCW said:

@Retired Wrencher 

Thanks for FB shoutout.  Since it is PA it would cost as much a new seat once I paid for gas there and back.  More importantly it is project I just want take on myself.

@CCW I hope it turns out well for you on this. Do think a no back rest is not needed?

• Like 1

CCW

@Retired Wrencher The seat on there is only temporary until I have the original seat repaired.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, CCW said:

temporary

Other than being a plastic base I like it!

Looks comfortable. 

• Like 3

Brockport Bill

We have all experienced the wear and tear of our seats -- the one approach that can have some success is to stop the tear or crack from getting worse as soon as its discovered -- i have used the black gorrilla tape with some success to not let a tear or crack continue to "grow" -- not perfect, but mostly effective - if left unattended it just quickly gets worse and worse

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

87 416-8 horse
Posted (edited)

My seat could use some gorilla tape.:lol:

image.jpg

Edited by 87 416-8 horse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Handy Don
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

the black gorrilla tape

The adhesive on this, once exposed to air by peeling it off the roll, cures instead of drying.

Make sure the vinyl is very clean and fully dried before applying the tape. I use an alcohol wipe and leave it for about 15 minutes before taping. To keep the tape ends from getting pulled loose when I slide on or off the tractor, I’ve carefully remove the band that secures the cover to the pan, run the tape to the bottom edge of the pan, and then crimped it back in with the seat edging band.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

gorilla tape.

You may wanna buy stock in the company! 

• Haha 1

Brockport Bill
5 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The adhesive on this, once exposed to air by peeling it off the roll, cures instead of drying.

Make sure the vinyl is very clean and fully dried before applying the tape. I use an alcohol wipe and leave it for about 15 minutes before taping. To keep the tape ends from getting pulled loose when I slide on or off the tractor, I’ve carefully remove the band that secures the cover to the pan, run the tape to the bottom edge of the pan, and then crimped it back in with the seat edging band.

great tips !!!!!

• Like 1