JoeM

Shania Twine

JoeM

I can not believe how many times I have found bailng twine in deck spindles. This is a deck off a parts machine I picked up a couple weeks ago. 

The twine completely wore the bottom off including the snap ring groove. Got to pick that stuff up people!

Shania Twine

image.png.ba93cfd211855782b38fdc19fe77a6dd.pngimage.png.357c4e476cec24e2986c82c9078e00a1.png

Weed Wacker String in this one.

image.png.1fe80729dba880acafc22b162623c93d.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

WHX??

I don't mine the twine... it's the chunks of wire! Who is it that leaves that stuff out in the yard?!? 

• Like 3

peter lena

@JoeM  very rare to see any maintenance  / care / interest on a deck ,  that led me to regular  look / see  what's going on  under there ?  break the  GRUNGE CYCLE ,  get that deck  standing up on its  rear , wheel area , supported with a  hold on the top side lift linkage , angle it to the sun , for scrape down , and hot oil soaking , if you want to recover something , you have to , remove it from the neglect its been living . change what's not working , into recovery mode , 3 decks , with this set up , pete

• Like 4

kpinnc

We have critters in the pasture, so hay bales are just part of the scenery. My kids continually look at me like I'm crazy when I gripe about them leaving baling twine on the ground. 

I don't want to teach them by removing some from a deck spindle. I know no way better, but I don't want a ruined mower! 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Who is it that leaves that stuff out in the yard?!? 

My thoughts exactly.....

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Not sure if it's the same over there, but bailing twine is the farmers fix all in UK.

It's used to repair gates, mend machinery, secure animals and anything else you can think of. Many a farmer I've seen has twine securing some bit of his clothing or other. 

The fishing industry dumps its old nets in the sea, with results we see constantly, our farmers dump bags and barrels and twine all over their land. 

We just never learn about plastics etc.

On a health and safety note we had a nasty incident recently when a nine year old farmers boy was run over and killed by a water bowser being towed by his dad with a pick up truck. 

Driving onto a steeply sloped field he felt the truck slide, his wife, two sons and baby daughter were also in the truck. He told them all to jump out as he could not stop the vehicle. His youngest son was hit by the bowser as it jacknifed., crushing him.

The water bowser was five times overweight for the type of vehicle towing it and the brakes on the trailer were not in working order (find me a farm trailer that does have working brakes).

Why on earth did he take his entire family out in a vehicle that was not fit for the job?  No wonder farms are the most dangerous work environment in our country. You don't take your kids to work on building sites or factories. 

I guess killing his own child is punishment enough, but the deaths continue until someone has the guts to say enough is enough. 

• Sad 1

Lane Ranger

Old Nylon coated clothes line is the stuff I have found to really wrap around a Wheel Horse mower deck spindle likens tomorrow!

Rick3478
29 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

Old Nylon coated clothes line is the stuff I have found to really wrap around a Wheel Horse mower deck spindle likens tomorrow!

Doesn't even have to be man-made to cause trouble.  Nettles have very tough long fiber in the stems, and will wrap up a spindle as fast as you please.  I always inspect and cut off after mowing the woodlot trails.  I've had to shut down in mid-task with smoke wafting out of the deck more than once.

Wayne0
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

My issue was a 1/4 inch nylon dog run! I kept forgetting to pick it up!

pfrederi

12.5 ga High tensile  fencing can cause issues  Ask me how I know

JoeM
5 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Not sure if it's the same over there

Oh yeah same same!

Mic I think as i grow older there is less and less common sense. Everything is every-ones fault but mine. No ownership.

No responsibility, no sense, no core values, I suppose that is what they call a shrinking feeling. ??? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

Everything is every-ones fault but mine

Is this like when I blame the dog for most of the funny noises my body makes??

• Haha 1

Blasterdad
13 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I don't mine the twine... it's the chunks of wire! Who is it that leaves that stuff out in the yard?!? 

4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

12.5 ga High tensile  fencing can cause issues  Ask me how I know

I had a piece of chain link post wire stop a JD 322 dead in its tracks instantly. 

When I lifted up the deck & looked it was wrapped around the center spindle with a couple of inches sticking out.

The fundamental laws of physics were the last thing on my mind as I grabbed ahold of it, one of which is friction causes HEAT. :scared-eek:

It left a nasty blister across the whole palm of my hand, turns out the other end of it was jammed in between the blade carrier & the bearing housing.

I had to take the blade & carrier off to get it out, lesson learned the hard way. :ranting::hide::lol:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JoeM
8 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

I had a piece of chain link post wire stop a JD 322 dead in its tracks instantly.

My daughter hit some chain link and it tore the center spindle out of the deck, only the belt was holding it in place. I was not happy.

• Sad 1

Handy Don
Posted (edited)

A couple of years ago now I adapted a Haban flail mower from a Bolens to run on our 518-H++

The PO told me “it doesn’t work very well” and that’s why he was selling it.

Post #20 in this thread clarified a significant part of the problem. Even a flail mower cannot digest heavy fencing!

The setup we’re running now at the camp looks like this (separate hydraulics for front and mid/rear)

image.png.92b805e748215cdfe33231701faeeebb.png

image.png Fence wire just peeking out.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977
Posted (edited)

I mow 500 feet of my side of the highway. Try getting a hole roll of fishing line out of a 48" deck.

Edited by Lee1977

Handy Don
6 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

500 feet of my side of the highway

Now you have me thinking of all the un-fun things I’ve seen along roadsides. Yuck