giant_g2

PTO Hot?

giant_g2

How hot should the PTO housing get?

I have a 1974 B80 and mowed about 3/4 of an acre. The PTO was pretty warm but not too hot to hold my hand on. It was only about 60F.  There's some John Deere polyurea grease in there, but not too much so it won't sling out. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything or doing something wrong. I'm not used to most bearings getting hot. 

WHX??

The heat from the engine alone can get them warm. If you can hold your hand on it it's probably OK. Excess slippage, clutch or belt, can lead to overheating. Keep an ear out for a noisy or gritty feeling end bearing. 

• Like 1

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

Excessive heat would be if you can't hold your hand on it.

Clutch slip or belt slip will heat them up fairly quickly and HOT too

• Like 2

kpinnc

Another telltale sign would be if your deck blades slow down excessively while mowing in heavier patches of grass. If you listen closely, your blades should slow down only if the engine is pulled down with them. 

And if you adjust the PTO lever, make small adjustments. When close to the "sweet spot", a full turn of the trunnion can be alot. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

The belt friction alone will cause heat without slipping.  The large bearing inside does nothing while the clutch is engaged, only the small front bearing is working hard.and can build heat.

• Like 1

peter lena

@giant_g2  thats called Rotational DRAG , the combination   of bearing / loading / drag , and the grass you are attempting to cut . . it adds up very quickly , you have 12 related  PTO / MUEL DRIVE  bearings ,  usually  lubricant failure  is the issue , a hi temp , 550 +  flash point , will stand up to that . were you cutting at your highest setting ?  that would  also help on heat /  discharge drag . that polyurea grease is what you want , after the bearing is cleaned out , of original  lube . just some feed back on your issue , pete

• Like 2

giant_g2

I didn't notice any slipping. I'm pretty sure it's just normal based on what everyone has said here. Thanks everyone!