Fordiesel69

520Lxi / New Holland GT20

Fordiesel69

I stumbled upon and bought the blue version new holland GT 20 over the weekend and was curious if you guys can tell me a little about it.  The internet is kind of dry on content.  Has 400 hrs, a new old stock 42 in rear discharge deck, and it is like new.  

• Excellent 1

JoeM

Only experience with the New Holland machines was with a GT22. It was identical to the Toro 522xi, both air cooled. All the same parts. 
I do have a 520LXI that I use on my FEL, it runs okay. Almost 1700 hours on the meter. I will say, it is a slight bit tired, but good enough for the gals I date.

400 hours that one should be nice and strong. 

Two things come to mind on the LXI machine. All the power for the ignition module runs through the seat switch. Over time the seat switch will get some resistance and cause the voltage to drop and it will intermittently run bad.

The other thing is spark plugs, I have seen plugs that fit but are not the right heat range cause a miss. Use the plug listed by the parts manual. 

Also, there is a screen that slides vertically on the air inlet side of the radiator. Make sure it is clean. 

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Seat switch is jumpered and gone thankfully.  

• Sad 1

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

JoeM
31 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

It would be a good idea to jack up the frame and inspect the front axle pivot.

Yep, another weak spot on all xi machines. Someone misses greasing that pivot one time and then it will begin to loosen.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Yep mine is a little loose.  Will need to do that mod at some point.  

Fordiesel69
Posted (edited)

Found out it is a sept 2000 build date.

I heard 1997 they had plastic cam gears then switched to metal afterwards.

Edited by Fordiesel69
Found date code

OoPEZoO

Welcome to the 5xi club.  I can't help much with the Kawi, as mine is the 522xi Kohler, but they are impressive machines.  I like mine more and more every time I fiddle with it.  I only have a 2-stage snow blower for mine, but have the intentions of starting a FEL build for it this year.

Speaking about that front axle pivot.......Besides regular inspection and greasing, is there any other preventive maintenance or upgrades there that you guys can suggest?  The pivot on my 522xi is luckily still nice and tight with zero slop detected.  I'd like to keep it that way, especially with the idea of FELs rattling around in my head.