ri702bill

Interest for Machine Shop Bushing Service??

ri702bill
Posted (edited)

Just throwing this out there, As some of you know, I do my own repair / upgrade machining on my Horses. Mostly adding bronze bushings in steering blocks, front axle pivot & spindle bores, lower thrust washers for the same, clutch rod frame bushings. The typical places that get wornout by metal-to-metal contact over time.

So, if you wish to inquire about the costs involved for a specific repair, send me a PM.

P6110174.JPG

P6220170.JPG

Finished Flycut.jpg

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

squonk

For other's info. A CHEEP replacement for the 7879 flanged bushing that motion control linkages use can be made out of one of those axle caps you get in the Hillman drawer at Lowes. just grind off the closed end and ream the hole.

bushings.jpg.ce2744faefe09bc97001dc4d8421b3d8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill
34 minutes ago, squonk said:

hose axle caps you get in the Hillman drawer

Flashbacks of Christmas Eves past, assembling kid's toys, trying to beat the "deadline".......:text-bump:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

The steering pillow block repair would be of interest to me at some point. 

• Like 1

ri702bill
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The steering pillow block repair would be of interest to me at some point. 

Thanks - makes the old ones without any bushing better than new as supplied.... best part is that they are store bought off the shelf items. If they ever need replacing, knock them out, press in the new one.....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Thanks - makes the old ones without any bushing better than new as supplied....

Question on that Bill: Looks like you mill some of the cast iron housing away in your pic above. I would think that allows the steering shaft to seat slightly lower. Does that create a tighter gear mesh as well? I'm thinking that would be even more improvement... 

• Like 1

Lee1977
Posted (edited)

I have done both the clutch shaft and the PTO shaft on my C-120/180. Yes axles and steering blocks, you meed a milling machine.

SAM-0307.jpg

SAM-0315.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3

ri702bill
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Question on that Bill: Looks like you mill some of the cast iron housing away in your pic above. I would think that allows the steering shaft to seat slightly lower. Does that create a tighter gear mesh as well? I'm thinking that would be even more improvement... 

I flycut the top surface just to clean the wear and to make it truly perpendicular to the bushing. Look at any used OE block, there is maybe a third of a circle of wear around the hole.

Not clearly visible there is a SECOND grease fitting down below to allow you to grease the lower steering shaft....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2