Brockport Bill

KT 17 valves ????

Brockport Bill

I have 2 part question about C175 KT 17 Series 2 engine intake and exhaust valves ---  Tractor does not have original tins or i.d. tag but believed to be spec 24323 -------- First question is short - where would you suggest to buy Kohler OEM valves, or optionally, aftermarket valves - other than the typical EBAY site???? Any particular logical "parts sites" to go to for Kohler parts?? Secondly --- I am having hard time determining the issue of the valves being the "same" or "NOT" for KT17 as in the M18? I can't determine the issue of what are apparently distinctions of a 45 degree or 30 degree valve angle?  Moreover - the RdSq resource info here in manuals for KT17 and M18 show identical part numbers for the seals, and valve cover gaskets, and head gaskets -- However, the KT17 and M18 valves themselves have one digit variation in the part number suffix?? This suggests to me a variance perhaps the kt17 has 45 degree and the m18 has 30 degree valve??  However, when i go to various sites to buy valves they seem to interchange as if the same valves for the KT17 and the M18 -- suggesting either they are same part number, or the sellers don't know if they are same or not? Any insights would be helpful - internal engine issues and parts is not my knowledge area so looking for suggestions -- either from RdSq admins -- or members? thanks, Bill ---- Part # for KT17 exh valve is 52-016-02-s -- For the M18 exh valve is 52-016-05 or 06 ------------- The intake valve for the KT17 is 52-017-01-s - For the M18 the # is 52-017-07 or 08 .................

gwest_ca

You saw this service bulletin?

pfrederi
Posted (edited)

24323 is not a valid Spec Number for an M-18.  Do you know what tractor/brand it came from?

KT17 and Magnums up to June 1989 use same valves.

Wheel Horse only used M18 in 1987 so if it is from a WH 45 degree seats/valve same as KT17s

OEM Intake are NLA  I think OEM exhaust valves are available for big bucks but 30 degree

I overhauled my M-18  spec 24510 from my 418A.  Would not do that again way too much money for parts and machining...and the are not nearly as easy to work on as the singles.  Love my KT17s but when one dies I will not rebuild it...

Edited by pfrederi

Brockport Bill
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

24323 is not a valid Spec Number for an M-18.  Do you know what tractor/brand it came from?

KT17 and Magnums up to June 1989 use same valves.

Wheel Horse only used M18 in 1987 so if it is from a WH 45 degree seats/valve same as KT17s

OEM Intake are NLA  I think OEM exhaust valves are available for big bucks but 30 degree

I overhauled my M-18  spec 24510 from my 418A.  Would not do that again way too much money for parts and machining...and the are not nearly as easy to work on as the singles.  Love my KT17s but when one dies I will not rebuild it...

great info Pete -- thanks for insights -  that's really helpful -- 

the spec 24323  i mentioned is spec i use for my kt17 -- i dont know spec for M18 but you telling me the valves are same is reassuring because that means where ever i see valves for a M18 appears i can use for my kt17????

the replacement valves I found available for purchase are OEM old stock in old bags that some sellers have available -- actually, a couple sellers only have one valve in stock -- there are a few valves out there at affordable prices but others in the 80-100 dollar range each -- YIKES!!

there are other valves that are "after market"  I can buy 2 exh and 2 intake... all 4 for $100 -- of course impossible to know the quality difference of after market versus New un-used OEM??? Like everything ... is it just price difference availability or is it poor quality? After-market is roll of dice?

As to rebuilds, thus far not found any folks doing full rebuilds for twins -- only single cyl -- I can certainly understand as you said if your M18 goes bad that it's hard to justify big $$$$ for rebuild -- option to install a single like a kohler 16 or maybe even a used KT17 from a beat up body C175 that still has viable motor?

Lastly - i wrote a email to Norm at IsaveTractors asking his knowledge about the valves and their angle and what valves he may have available? His web site shows valves for sale for the single Kohlers but its unclear what he has available for the KT17, or if matching the M18? Waiting to hear back from my email.

thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience 

Bill

pfrederi
Posted (edited)

You misunderstood.  KT17 and early Magnum 18s used same valves. Later Magnum 18 are different. Are yo buying valves for the magnum or the KT

EDIT  Just looked at I save tractors he doesn't show any KT 17 valves The MAG18 valves he shows are 30 degree and will not work in a KT

Edited by pfrederi

Brockport Bill

i have a c175 KT17 that I want to buy all 4 valves ---

Correct, I could not find IsaveTractor valves for the KT17 on their web site ---- that's why i emailed Norm to ask him if he has KT17 valves, or can get them, or if any version of the M18 would be correct valve???? Also wanted Norm to clarify the 45 versus 30 degree issue for available valves???