JoeM

what makes you tap the brakes on a wheel horse

JoeM

From time to time there are things I do but hesitate before doing.

My biggest one is disassembling fresh painted parts to make an adjustment or change. I can just about tear into anything but I just back up a bit on the nice stuff when it has to come back apart. :unsure:

Anyone else procrastinate when work on their horse?

• Like 4

pfrederi

My painting is to prevent corrosion not for great looks.  It is exactly that damage new paint issue that makes me avoid wasting time on fancy paint jobs.  Mine are all tractors with jobs not trailer queens...:P

• Like 9

Achto
52 minutes ago, JoeM said:

My biggest one is disassembling fresh painted parts to make an adjustment or change.

This is one reason why I use stainless bolts when I do a resto. Never have to go back and touch up hardware.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
27 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

My painting is to prevent corrosion not for great looks.  It is exactly that damage new paint issue that makes me avoid wasting time on fancy paint jobs.  Mine are all tractors with jobs not trailer queens...:P

:text-yeahthat:

8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

two spray can 15 foot style paint job.

or brush... :hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

kpinnc
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

Anyone else procrastinate when work on their horse?

Never.

...Yeah, pretty much all the time. :ph34r: I spent over two years "staring" at my 523-H project for the same reason. And when I did finally start dissasemby? I didn't scratch it, I made several big gouges in the paint. :angry-banghead: Even chipped a dime-sized chunk off the fender!

But, I don't know how to get around it. I've said before, I never really finish a tractor. Seems I'm always going back and changing stuff after supposedly being done! :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

A severe tennis elbow from all that wet sanding  , lack of skill, equipment, and patients, made me switch to the two spray can 15 foot style paint job.

Though I better add the other reasons I quit trying to paint.    Kudos to all those that are able lay down those deep perfect finishes.

• Like 9

kpinnc
37 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Kudos to all those that are able lay down those deep perfect finishes.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

:text-goodpost:

All of the above

Moonshine*Connoisseur
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

or brush... :hide:

Or paint roller , lol 😆 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

RJ Hamner

My "Quality" paint jobs always look soooo much better when I turn out the lights!

• Haha 9

JoeM
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Mine are all tractors with jobs not trailer queens

I do have a few that are "for looking.....not cook'n" 

• Haha 3

Ed Kennell

A few of my rattle can Queens that found new castles.post-7208-0-42337300-1425133577.jpgIMG_1812.JPG.753d2e32204ca1c5b628b85d5615b81e.JPGIMG_1534.JPG.3fc99e3c8b4c64ef8ed31e46cbcff0f1.JPG

IMG_5987.JPG.cf793ac294dda5d89887bd0dccb761fd.JPG598370c26b928_IMG_1886(640x480).jpg.c61de4c9777b00c214efb2366ddf05d0.jpgIMG_7084.JPG.c58e48d99bf9211a21e47baae2339961.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

ebinmaine

We've repainted portions or whole of 6

~ I think ~

so far. 

ALL were "rattled" at. 

AND all are workers.

We have seriously considered an investment in better equipment and supplies.  

At this point we have zero intention of building a strictly show only tractor but the durability of a hardened paint would be nice. 

• Like 3

ranger
19 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

There are quite a few relatively inexpensive, (read cheap) LVLP, low volume-low pressure spray guns available. These allow you to use a much smaller compressor than normal. But make sure you use a decent water/oil separator! I believe your ‘Harbour Freight’ stores carry some acceptable guns? Many, many years ago, 1970’s, I used an old gravity feed spray gun with the air valve removed to allow the air to flow continuously. I used an old freezer pump driven by a small gas engine, no tank! I sprayed quite a number of cars, motorcycles and a couple of lorry cabs with it over the years. My late friend ended up with it, with an electric motor, he used it for painting the trailers he built. Although the air pressure was not the highest, it was constant, no stopping and waiting for the tank to refill! You could, in theory put together something similar, as an attachment, using a Wheelhorse to drive it when needed?

• Like 3

ebinmaine
32 minutes ago, ranger said:

There are quite a few relatively inexpensive, (read cheap) LVLP, low volume-low pressure spray guns available. These allow you to use a much smaller compressor than normal. But make sure you use a decent water/oil separator! I believe your ‘Harbour Freight’ stores carry some acceptable guns? Many, many years ago, 1970’s, I used an old gravity feed spray gun with the air valve removed to allow the air to flow continuously. I used an old freezer pump driven by a small gas engine, no tank! I sprayed quite a number of cars, motorcycles and a couple of lorry cabs with it over the years. My late friend ended up with it, with an electric motor, he used it for painting the trailers he built. Although the air pressure was not the highest, it was constant, no stopping and waiting for the tank to refill! You could, in theory put together something similar, as an attachment, using a Wheelhorse to drive it when needed?

We have a decent compressor and I've recently bought a water separator. 

Just need a sprayer :handgestures-thumbupright:

JoeM
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

durability of a hardened paint would be nice

even the cheaper automotive acrylic enamels are harder and easier to paint. One quart will do a hood seat pan and side panels. Not the inside just the outside. I like three coats. 

• Thanks 1

Wayne0
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We've repainted portions or whole of 6

~ I think ~

so far. 

ALL were "rattled" at. 

AND all are workers.

At this point we have zero intention of building a strictly show only tractor but the durability of a hardened paint would be nice. 

Nothin' wrong with a rattle can paint job as long as you know what you're doin'.

I painted my first motorcycle restoration with a rattle can and you'd think it was stock.

That was after a "pro" painted it. Orange peel and fish eyes everywhere! Not to mention the snots!

Edited by Wayne0
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Wayne0 said:

Nothin' wrong with a rattle can paint job as long as you know what you're doin'.

I painted my first motorcycle restoration with a rattle can and you'd think it was stock.

That was after a "pro" painted it. Orange peel and fish eyes everywhere! Not to mention the snots!

Agreed. 

Trina/ BBT/  The Paint Department does ALL our painting. 

We don't try for smooth surfaces... yet. 

We just go for good string solidly stuck paint. 

With a tad more time I believe we could do a tad more better but it hasn't mattered yet. 

Achto
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I also flip washers upside down on sheetmetal so the edges don't dig into fresh paint.

Was taught this in assembly when our shop was owned by Baldor Electric. Rounded edges of the washer down. Did it so often that I could feel the washers in my hand & install them correctly with out even looking at them. Still use this practice no matter what I am assembling. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 5

JoeM
12 hours ago, kpinnc said:

My latest rattle can job. Hope it cures well enough to buff later.

When I plan to buff a rattle can paint job I put a couple top coats of Crystal Clear Enamel on before the color paint drys. If you don't put it on wet you have to wait a couple weeks for the color to dry or the paint might lift.

This stuff buffs up amazing for a rattle can and will reduce fading. Does provide some UV protection. 

Can be buffed in about 7 to 10 days at 70 degrees. 

image.png.b7cc245045a996fe1816d8a584f78489.pngimage.png.22cefda8e98e799800fe8af2bc0f6722.pngimage.png.5756cadd4d4221f83f807e0c9d750740.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

I put a couple top coats of Crystal Clear Enamel on before the color paint drys. If you don't put it on wet you have to wait a couple weeks for the color to dry or the paint might lift.

How long do you wait between coats Joe and how heavy a coat?      I always seem to have trouble with the recoats crazing.

• Like 1

pfrederi
Posted (edited)

If I get bored enough to start buffing paint on tractors...please shoot me.:P

Edited by pfrederi
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

JoeM
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

How long do you wait between coats Joe and how heavy a coat

About 10 minutes, I try to paint when it is around 70. The coat is wet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1