Brockport Bill

Laser Rust/Paint removal

Brockport Bill

Who has had experience with using Laser equipment for rust/paint removal for any restoration type projects on their WH? Either doing yourself, or having done for you to remove rust and/or paint? Any feedback or insights would be appreciated? thanks, Bill

WHX??

Never heard of it...:popcorn:

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
31 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

You can do a You Tube - there are dozens of You Tubes on the Laser topic --- they are sold and used world wide -- notably in auto repair, and body shop industry, as well as welders etc -- Was wondering if anyone had used for tractor paint and/or rust removal - - not $$ practical for most homeowners or hobbyists to buy a unit but perhaps some have used at their job, or perhaps had their tractor Laser done at Auto shop or a welder etc as an option to sand blasting or grinding, sanding etc -- Sooooo was wondering if any RSq folks had any results to share????

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I've seen that on some YouTube videos and it looks wild!

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Take a googles trip for a minute or 6 Jim. 

Fascinating stuff. 

You'd be pretty interested.  

• Thanks 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

@WHX??

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk

A "classic Renault!" :hilarious:Phasers on stun Spock! 

Looks pretty cool, dangerous and expensive! 

• Haha 2

peter lena

@ MIKE,S HORSE BARN , OPPORTUNITY ? penetrating oil , seam / joint access , the opportunity to add a metal  saving / feeding  barrier  , to anything is amazing . anything new I see with rust already starting , is worth a save . rather have a lubrication , film / spread, than rot out , pete 

Pullstart

The good ole boy neighbor was at the house for a few hours last week and he was checking out my e-tank.  He asked me if I’d ever seen this before too.  I think he mentioned Half A$$ Customs on YT using this tool for everything…

• Like 1

WHX??
7 minutes ago, Achto said:

Low Low price tag on these.

Yep just ordered one --- keep an eye on yer CC statement make sure the order went thru.... :laughing-rolling:

Looks to be dusty mess that a blast cabinets capture. 

That said I'm not seeing it for the hobbyist or professional. You really can't  do internal parts with out disassembly then you might as well take the brake drums to a cab. 

For the price one could get set up with a commercial grade cab with all the bells and have some left over for outside blast equipment. 

• Haha 3

squonk

I can see the video now. Starts out with a Renault LeCar on jack stands. Then all that's left is a unibody skeleton and burn't up interior! :helmet:

• Haha 2

Achto
19 minutes ago, squonk said:

Starts out with a Renault LeCar on jack stands. Then all that's left is a unibody skeleton and burn't up interior! 

I had a LeCar as a winter beater in high school. Bought it for $50 in the fall, drove it all winter, unstoppable in the snow, & got 40MPG. The clutch blew up in the spring, sold it for $50. Best winter beater ever !! :handgestures-thumbupright:  :D

• Like 1

squonk
5 minutes ago, Achto said:

I had a LeCar as a winter beater in high school. Bought it for $50 in the fall, drove it all winter, unstoppable in the snow, & got 40MPG. The clutch blew up in the spring, sold it for $50. Best winter beater ever !! :handgestures-thumbupright:  :D

I used to work on Renaults. I wanted plumbers pay for working on toilets! :)

• Haha 3

WHX??

Now who's going :offtopic:!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8ntruck
Posted (edited)

I did the stress analysis on the Renault/AMC Alliance base wheel, as one of my early carieer projects.  That was one of the first HSLA wheels we produced.  The base steel wheel was 3lb lighter than the optional aluminum wheel.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Achto said:

I can't say as I've paid a lot of attention to these knowing they're well out of the desirable reach of me spending money. Ever. But that one's about half the price of what they've rumored to be online.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Looks to be dusty mess that a blast cabinets capture. 

That said I'm not seeing it for the hobbyist or professional. You really can't  do internal parts with out disassembly then you might as well take the brake drums to a cab. 

For the price one could get set up with a commercial grade cab with all the bells and have some left over for outside blast equipment. 

This was the basic thought process I had when I saw the videos available.

I've never run one of these or even been around one but other than the consumables in sand or blasting media which can be filtered and reused, I don't see a clear advantage. 

elcamino/wheelhorse
5 hours ago, squonk said:

I can see the video now. Starts out with a Renault LeCar on jack stands. Then all that's left is a unibody skeleton and burn't up interior! :helmet:

Didn't you mean to say all that was left were the jack stands.

lynnmor
5 hours ago, Achto said:

I could maybe handle the $9199, but the "free shipping by air" would have me spending serious money installing the runway.

• Haha 3

Rob J.

Like everything else the prices will come down in a couple years. HF will probably have one for under $1000 in a year or so. They are very handy. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I could maybe handle the $9199, but the "free shipping by air" would have me spending serious money installing the runway.

Helipad. 

Mickwhitt

Christ on a bike!  Surely that kind of thing can't be allowed into hobbyists hands?

"So you expect me to talk Goldfinger"

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die"

• Like 1

wallfish
11 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Christ on a bike!  Surely that kind of thing can't be allowed into hobbyists hands?

"So you expect me to talk Goldfinger"

"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die"

One of those rich little influencer kids got one and was burning all kinds of crap with it on a youtube video. Can't believe he didn't burn the house down!

Can't seem to find it but I'll post it if I do

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 4/1/2024 at 10:40 AM, Achto said:

While working in London for a French bank, I had use of the company Renault 5 on weekends for exploring outside the city and during the week for commuting with a couple of colleagues. Great to drive--smooth on the highway and nimble and easy to park in the city. Only quirk was that the CFO didn’t realize that seatbelts were an option (in the 80’s) and didn’t order them--I was always a bit nervous about that.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1