8 hours ago, rmaynard said:

fresh gas is a must.

Agreed, and ethanol free if possible. 

Glad to see more young folks coming to the forum! Welcome! :thumbs:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

Always happy to see some younger members joining Red Square.

One of the best ways to explain what is going on is to list steps taken and the results.sort of like this;

Turned key and engine turned over, yes  /  no

Engine turned over and started  Yes  /  no

Engine started bur stalled  yes  /  no

Once we know what is and isn't happening we will guide you in the proper direction.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Clayton.          These guys really enjoy helping to bring an old horse back to life.

Just ask in simple terms and you will get easy to understand answers.        It helps if we have detailed information on your tractor, the tools you have available and your mechanical capabilities.          Pictures are a great help in solving some problems that are sometimes difficult to explain.

Good luck and welcome aboard 

• Like 2

rjg854

:WRS:

• Like 1

87 416-8 horse

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

When I got my 416-8 I had to replace the ignition switch. There hard to find so I pulled the original one apart and cleaned all the connections and contacts and it worked perfect. Also pull the engine covers off and clean all the cooling fins and check for any mice nest and wires that might have been eaten. Mine had probably been sitting for 4-5 years. That’s a great tractor to start out with!

• Like 2

Clayton Barton

Sorry, Ive been a little busy but im back now. I need to let the battery sit for a bit. The little fan on the side is all dirty. I took a air compressor and blew it out theres still a lot in there how am i supposed to get up in there without taking the whole engine apart. Also, the bolt there is stripped and I cant put it back in what should i do.  

• Like 1

Clayton Barton

I'm also interested in adding a loader and I don't know where to find one any suggestions?

87 416-8 horse
23 minutes ago, Clayton Barton said:

Sorry, Ive been a little busy but im back now. I need to let the battery sit for a bit. The little fan on the side is all dirty. I took a air compressor and blew it out theres still a lot in there how am i supposed to get up in there without taking the whole engine apart. Also, the bolt there is stripped and I cant put it back in what should i do.  

Do you have a kohler m16 one cylinder, onan 2 cylinder, or a kohler 2 cylinder?

If there was crap behind the fan then there’s probably a mouse nest in there. If you have a striped out bolt then you could put a heily coil in. Be careful not to drill it too big because it might go through the bloke. Usually they’s not to many blots holding on the cover.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Hi Clayton,  welcome along to Red Square.

I know you are only 13, but do you have any other experience with engines and the like, bikes, go karts, models.

If not it's a pretty big thing to learn on your own. Do you have someone helping you to wrench on this tractor?

I learned a lot of my lessons fixing my grandpa's cars and vans from the age of five or six. I had hands small enough and sharper eyes to fix the stuff he couldn't.

If you are doing this solo you will still be able to follow these guys instructions to get her going again.  They helped me sort out a heap of scrap into a beautiful machine.

Try to take pictures of the bits you need help with, a picture is worth a thousand words.  It will also help if you are taking things apart when it comes to putting them back together. I take a photo with my phone at every step, as I remove things you can check you didn't lose something or fit something backwards. 

Also be real careful with the little bits you take off. Old yoghurt pots, jars or boxes are great to store things till it's time to put em back. And write labels on them so you won't forget what belongs where. I still do this and I've been taking things to bits nearly 60 years.

Keep on asking questions, no one will get mad, just try to answer any questions back to help the guys find your problem. 

Enjoy the process, it might take a while to get her going but it's well worth it. 

Mick. England 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Clayton Barton

So, im pretty sure the solenoid starter is jammed. How do I take it off.

ohiofarmer

you should probably find your tractor number and the engine number. you can also take a picture and attach it to a post.. there are guys on here who can look at a picture and just about tell you what that tractor had for breakfast....  You could also google how to find an engine serial number to help the experts on here.to help you.

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Clayton Barton said:

So, im pretty sure the solenoid starter is jammed. How do I take it off.

Clayton, was the engine running when you said it stalled or did the starter just try to turn it over then stopped?       If the engine is not turning over, we need to find  out why before we continue.   Can you rotate the engine completely several times to confirm it is not locked up?    The easiest way to do this is to engage the PTO then turn the PTO pulleys.

Removing the spark plug to release the compression will also make it easier to turn over by hand.

Edited by Ed Kennell

Retired Wrencher

Hi Clayton :WRS: As you can see lots of help here. I am glade you have interest in these fine tractors. They will serve you well in life.Take care of them and they be your buddy for life.

• Like 1