RandyLittrell

1953 Farmall Cub

RandyLittrell

Just brought home a Cub I got from my Aunt after my Uncle passed away last year.

It's a 1953 and he has done all his mowing, plowing and snow removal for years with a Cub.

My cousin tells me there were three between his Mom and Brother and him and this was the last left.

It appears he went through everything on it, just didn't paint anything and I am going to leave it just like that. 

I have the original wheels and have ordered some new trim ribs for them. He put the cub wheels and tires on for mowing. 

IMG_20240329_180425524.jpg

IMG_20240329_180419258.jpg

IMG_20240329_180410820.jpg

IMG_20240329_180356185.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 8

Rick3478

Brings back memories.  Grandfather had one of these with a plow and disk that he used for a small "truck patch".  Didn't have hydraulics, had the big "armstrong" spring assist lift lever.

• Like 2

T-Mo

Randy, I had two Cubs, a 1947 and a 1950.  Traded the 1950 for a 1949 Farmall C and sold the '47 back in December.

Yours looks to have a Woods 42 mower on it.  If you haven't already, register at this site:  https://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/  With 2 posts (posts in the classified section don't count) you can access their pdf manual section and download to your heart's content. https://farmallcub.com/fcman/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Great looking Cub, I wouldn't even think of painting it.      :text-coolphotos:      If you do mow with it be sure to plan your moves, The rotation of the mower blades will push the tractor forward even with the clutch pushed down and the brakes applied.     :hide:     Don't ask me how I know this!      On the bright side nothing of great value was damaged except my ego and I had the fence repaired in no time.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
Posted (edited)

Great to see this piece of mechanical history stay in your family. 

Edited by ebinmaine
Correct autocorrect!
  • Like 1

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Randy, I had two Cubs, a 1947 and a 1950.  Traded the 1950 for a 1949 Farmall C and sold the '47 back in December.

Yours looks to have a Woods 42 mower on it.  If you haven't already, register at this site:  https://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/  With 2 posts (posts in the classified section don't count) you can access their pdf manual section and download to your heart's content. https://farmallcub.com/fcman/

I have already joined over there and have posted a few times. There site is much harder to post pics on for me because the small file size though. 

Thanks! Randy

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Great looking Cub, I wouldn't even think of painting it.      :text-coolphotos:      If you do mow with it be sure to plan your moves, The rotation of the mower blades will push the tractor forward even with the clutch pushed down and the brakes applied.     :hide:     Don't ask me how I know this!      On the bright side nothing of great value was damaged except my ego and I had the fence repaired in no time.

This little woods mower has a one way built in so no worry there, but I am fully aware of how brush hogs will push you!!

I really don't have any need for the mower though and will sell or trade it for something else. 

Randy

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Great to see this piece of mechanical history stay in your family. 

Thanks Eric, this thing purrs like a kitten and appears to be perfect mechanically!! 

Randy

• Excellent 4

T-Mo
22 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I have already joined over there and have posted a few times. There site is much harder to post pics on for me because the small file size though. 

Thanks! Randy

Randy, I took your pictures, did nothing to them but saved them as an image, and posted them as attachments on the Cub forum.  They are thumbnails here, so they were already downsized enough to meet that site's image posting requirements.  Something to think about when posting images again on the Cub forum site.

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
5 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Randy, I took your pictures, did nothing to them but saved them as an image, and posted them as attachments on the Cub forum.  They are thumbnails here, so they were already downsized enough to meet that site's image posting requirements.  Something to think about when posting images again on the Cub forum site.

Thank you!! I use a Chromebook most of the time and it's been a pain trying to resize them. I miss the power toys in the old days of vista and windows 7!!

Randy