Sign in to follow this  
red army

Vapor Lock

red army

Hello all,

I've been a lurker on the forum for a while and have my first question...I have a 753 (hope to post pics soon) that I'm using as a worker right now, but hope to spruce up a little this winter. Problem is the tractor seems to vapor lock after running for about 20-30 minutes. By vapor lock I mean sputter and die and not restart until after it cools down a bit. I'm open to any suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks!

whfan74

First of all......... :thumbs2:

If it is truly a vapor lock try opening the gas cap. If you hear a hiss when opening it then you should invest in a new gas cap which is fairly cheap. This doesn't happen a lot but doesn't mean that it can't happen.

Make sure your fuel filter, tank, and fuel lines are clean.

That's a start to get you headed in the right direction.

Keep us posted.

VinsRJ

If the above mentioned gas cap / fuel system check doesn't cure the issue I would next look for spark during the hot period shut down. Sometimes the condensor will fail when it gets heat soaked.

Almost forgot :thumbs2:

Save Old Iron

A partially collapsed or pinched fuel line that goes near the transaxle could become completely blocked once the trans axle heats up. If the fuel line contacts the trans axle and is surrounded by a collection of old grass and leaves, this could eventually overheat and collapse the fuel line or overheat and vaporize the fuel in the fuel lilne.

Also, a quick visual check of the fuel screen present in most fuel tanks may reveal a screen almost blocked. After fuel sloshes about in the tank, the screen may become fully clogged by the additional debris now "kicked up" by moving the tractor of rough terrain.

Good luck with the repair.

Save Old Iron

Just saw you have a 753 - so never mind about the comments above regarding the fuel line over the trans-axle. I have been spending too much time with the "modern day" c160 and 520h 's.

The stuff I pulled out of the 520's tank makes me believe it was stored under a tree with the gas cap off for some time. Bugs and beetles and twigs .... oh my !!

red army

Okay, here's an update: I checked the fuel system and all seems to be in order, so I replaced the condenser and was able to mow all afternoon yesterday without any problems.

Thanks to all who offered their thoughts!

TJ

Good to hear your back in business. :scratchead:

:hide:

Coadster32

Good call Vin!! :scratchead:

VinsRJ

Glad to hear you're back in business.