Dominator

Twisted?

Dominator

Hi all, perplexed.  The 42 rd on a 312-8 appears to be bent.  Looking down at the deck from sitting on the tractor, the right rear edge is about 2 inches away from the rear tire.  The left side is almost against it!  When backing up, it may or may not catch.  The issue is everything looks straight.  What would you think is most likely bent, the deck or something under the tractor?  It seems to cut fine, but I know it’s not right.  Thanks in advance

squonk

Deck carriage could be bent or not mounted right. Need pics

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Deck carriage could be bent or not mounted right.

:text-yeahthat:

2 hours ago, squonk said:

Need pics

And :text-yeahthat: too. 

Bent carriage was my first thought. ....

953 nut

Your mower probably is not properly connected at the Mid-Mount Atach-A-Matic. This owner manual gives some information about mounting the deck.

• Like 3

Rick3478
5 hours ago, Dominator said:

Hi all, perplexed.  The 42 rd on a 312-8 appears to be bent.  Looking down at the deck from sitting on the tractor, the right rear edge is about 2 inches away from the rear tire.  The left side is almost against it!  When backing up, it may or may not catch.  The issue is everything looks straight.  What would you think is most likely bent, the deck or something under the tractor?  It seems to cut fine, but I know it’s not right.  Thanks in advance

I'll guess you've bent the deck shell or one of the rear brackets.  I have a 42RD that I've rebuilt numerous times, hit things, rinse and repeat.  Big friendly hammer, vise, anvil, and dolly block came in handy for tools.  Washers for shims and a couple pieces of heavy gauge reinforcing have been added over the years.

• Confused 1

daveoman1966

It takes a lot to bend one of these decks that much.  My bet---you don't have it mounted right;  Look at this pic as it MUST be mounted this way.  FORK.jpg.9487e8ee62948c1714afae5c9f968d8e.jpg1522566109_FORKA.jpg.b8ddfb6f8b7929f6a784f71575b38768.jpg1536312724_FORK3.jpg.7327f9b42f2d8c2e48944e23d32d45cb.jpg137317321_FORK2.jpg.f1a10829297482707b83fd3e3078e4ab.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Rick3478
10 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

It takes a lot to bend one of these decks that much.  My bet---you don't have it mounted right;  Look at this pic as it MUST be mounted this way. 

Missing the fork will move the deck a couple inches, but should be the same on both sides.

Maybe true, but maybe not the only problem.

I've bent mine several times.  Tree roots are very strong.

daveoman1966
20 hours ago, Dominator said:

Without the FORK engaged properly, it will float around---left/right - back/forth....which is exactly the alignment issue that Dominator describes.  The deck MUST be mounted properly ---as in the several pics I posted. 

• Like 1