BHpa

Throttle Question

BHpa

Please forgive me if this is a simple question, I've got very little mechanical experience.  

I've got this issue with my 310-8 where the throttle constantly slides down while I mow.  It's bad enough that I almost have to keep my hand on the throttle while mowing just to keep it up.  I was getting it ready for the spring yesterday and was looking around the throttle cables and what not to see if there was something to tighten, but I had no clue what I was looking for.  Any suggestions as to what I could tighten or adjust to keep the throttle from slipping down while mowing? 

Thanks!

Pullstart

This is a common issue with the throttle mechanism over time.  There is a rivet that is used to create friction in the throttle lever.  It can be drilled out and a bolt and nylock nut used to tighten as needed to create that friction once again.  Some people also just manage to squeeze that river tighter with vice grips or hammer and anvil too.

• Like 4

tunahead72
12 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

...  Some people also just manage to squeeze that rivet tighter with vice grips ...

I've had excellent results with this technique.  Squeeze it a little with the vise grips, see if the lever stays up like you want it to, tighten it some more if necessary, test again and repeat until it behaves nicely.

It's also a good time to lube the cable and the throttle mechanism, both ends, at the throttle and also where the cable connects to the governor and carb linkage.  I usually use WD-40 first to clean those areas, then follow up with an actual lube of some sort.

• Like 4

BHpa

thanks for these tips.  

Is the rivet on the throttle on the lever itself?  I'll have to poke around this evening and see what I can find.  I appreciate the insight!

tunahead72

It's at the bottom end of the lever, where it attaches to the rest of the mechanism.  I don't remember exactly, but there's a series of metal plates and a spring there, the rivet holds it all together, you'll see it.

Handy Don
32 minutes ago, BHpa said:

thanks for these tips.  

dIs the rivet on the throttle on the lever itself?  I'll have to poke around this evening and see what I can find.  I appreciate the insight!

The rivet forms the pivot on which the lever rotates. It is behind the instrument panel. it passes through the throttle mounting bracket (held to the panel with two screws with nuts), some plastic friction washers, and the throttle lever itself.

Important to understand is that the throttle assembly wasn’t intended as a serviceable part--a dealer would most likely replace the lever/cable assembly completely. What is being suggested (tightening the rivet or replacing it with a shoulder bolt) are labor intensive but not especially complicated repairs that do require some degree of mechanical skill and tools. Personally, I’ve used the bolts method.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BHpa said:

Any suggestions as to what I could tighten or adjust to keep the throttle from slipping down while mowing? 

The rivet mentioned above loosened over time, and it will again. Drill it out and use a 10/32 or even 1/4x20 bolt and nylock nut to set friction on it. It will stay where you set it, and not be an issue again.

1. Remove the throttle knob. They can be sticky, but will pull off. 

2. Remove two 10/32 screws that hold the lever in place. They have nylocks on the back, so you'll probably have to remove your battery to access them. 

3. Drill the rivet in the lever out with a 1/4 (or smaller if using 10/32) bit.

4. Add the before mentioned bolt. Tighten to desired tension on the lever.

5. Reinstall

6. Enjoy your tractor. No wheelies! :thumbs:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Sometimes a picture helps.   This is the rivet you need to squeeze or drill out and replace with a bolt and nylock nut.

940766670_100_0080-Copy.JPG.95c02eb4ba19b1ef580449fd99f49112.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Some guys add some nylon "friction" washers or wave washers too. 

Using a nyloc nut you can get the tension just right. 

• Like 1

tunahead72
14 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Sometimes a picture helps...

It does indeed, thanks for covering my lazy butt! :text-thankyouyellow:

• Haha 2

peter lena

@BHpa agree with others on the fix , also local hardware store , has those plastic / Teflon washers in the small   pull out drawer .   section , usually throttle cables / choke are rusty binging doe to lack of lubrication . like ,  SUPER LUBE , on that cable lube , also at hardware store , small bottle , $ 6 . pete

BHpa

Thanks for the recommendations!  I'll give it a try this week. 

• Like 1