1057Revival

RL-426 Mower Belt won't fit on PTO drive pulley

1057Revival

Hello everyone! I'm new here. My grandparents bought a 1057 brand new in 1967 and it's been sitting in the garage unused for the last 20 years or so. Need to mow the lawn for my grandma from this summer moving forward. Replaced the carb, fuel lines, spark plug, ignition, condenser, and the points - now she's running pretty good and the k241 is in solid shape.

The problem I'm running into is I can't seem to figure out how to get the mower belt on the PTO pulley. It really seems like that it was replaced with the wrong belt and it's too short? (already many things were repaired improperly on the tractor that I've had to undo to get it running properly)

Looking at photos of other 1057s with the RL-426 installed, it appears I've attached it correctly and everything is where it needs to be. The cutting height can raise and lower with ease and I can raise the deck up and down as well.  So I am completely stumped.

I've attached a video that shows how tight the belt is and can take more photos if needed.

Thanks!

2A775792-3451-4EFA-B125-9C4424CAB200(1).jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:Try loosening the bolt at the slot on the swing arm, then turn the adjusting rod to move the pully to the rear till the bolt is at the rear of the slot.

daveoman1966

My old Belt usage chart shows that Mower deck RL-426 use SPINDLE belt #6738 (86x1/2"). 

The PTO-to-DECK belt is listed as OEM# 9782 (69 x 1/2").

1057Revival
Posted (edited)

Got it attached and I was mowing for ... 30 minutes... then I hit a bump and it threw the belt. Guess I need to increase the belt tension.  On a different note, It is common to have an oil leak where the Fuel Pump/Vacuum is?  Seems that I'm smoking in that area and I see some residue. Changed the oil and put in a bit over 1.5 qts but it still seems a bit over the full line. Really hard to tell, the oil is so clear.

I can't seem to get enough power out of the engine. Under no load it handles just fine, but with the mower blades spinning it kills the RPMs and nearly cuts out on even small patches of grass, even at 100% power. It also vibrates more than I think is normal at full power. Seems to be backfiring some while idling and when coming off the throttle. I tuned the carb to get it as good as possible , still shoots flames out of exhaust at full throttle. Points is set at .020, but maybe they need readjustment (first time I've installed points before)

Still hopeful I can get it running to a usable state! Don't really have the time for a rebuild if that's needed.  Any ideas are very appreciated.
Video attached via imgur since I hit the attachment limit.  https://imgur.com/a/xBwJ963

Edited by 1057Revival

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, 1057Revival said:

Guess I need to increase the belt tension.

Yes, , I forgot to tell you to re adjust the belt tensioner after loosen it to install the belt.   After adjusting the screw to tighten the belt, then lock lock the pulley with the bolt at the slot.

1 hour ago, 1057Revival said:

still shoots flames out of exhaust at full throttle

Might be time to pull the head and check some valves