That_patina_856

What is wrong with my 8hp kohler?

That_patina_856

So my wheel horse 856 has a 8hp k181 motor. Recently it quit running and I can’t get it running again. At first I thought it may be blown but after looking around a little bit I don’t think that’s the case. I took the carb and head off and did not see anything out of the ordinary. The piston and valves works like they should. I have not been able to take a look at the old oil to see if there are any metal bits in there because the oil cap is round and I do not know how to get it off. I have changed the oil before but I had help then. This motor seemed bulletproof and ran great but I don’t what is wrong with it now because I am not very engine oriented and am still learning about them since I am just a kid. I do have people who do know more about engines and they are taking a look at it this weekend but I was just wondering what you think about this.

Sailman

Before worrying about a "blown engine" do a step by step check of spark and fuel. I would start with making sure you have a good spark at the spark plug. You can lay the plug on the head and turn the engine over to see if there is spark. If not replace the plug and if still no spark check the points. May need to replace points and condenser. Once you determine you have spark start working through the fuel supply. Is the gas cap venting air ok? you can pull the gas line off the carb coming from the fuel pump. Is it pumping fuel from the pump when you turn the engine over? If not you may have a plugged gas cap, plugged fuel filter or a bad fuel pump (would need a rebuild or replace). If you have spark and fuel to the carb then I would assume its something plugging the carb and would need a good cleaning.

That is just my :twocents-02cents: but I am sure others here will chime in on suggestions. Best of luck!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

That_patina_856

Thanks I’ll check that I know the pump is sending gas to the carb though

Ed Kennell
43 minutes ago, That_patina_856 said:

motor seemed bulletproof

That they are.       

Three things are needed to run.       I would check for spark first as the other two do not matter if you do not have spark.

1. Fuel and air to the cylinder                               Clean the air filter and possible clean the carb.

2. A good spark that is timed correctly                   @Sailman   gave you good advice above to check for spark.

3. Compression                                                     With the spark plug removed, hold your thumb over the hole and crank the engine.   You should feel the pressure.

And,  :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Yep, like they said above… slow down and cover basics first :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

rmaynard

The simplest thing you can do is to take the cover off of the points and clean the contacts. Letting an engine sit can cause the points to oxidize. Until cleaned, it won't start.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

Also if you are getting spark and fuel, make sure there is no water in the gas.

• Like 1

squonk

Is this a mud runner by any chance?

Daddy Don
10 hours ago, That_patina_856 said:

Thanks I’ll check that I know the pump is sending gas to the carb though

I use fuel filters with a clear case so I can see the fuel moving up to the carb. 

ANTPER

When ever unsure of something don't hesitate to  reach out to us first before you dive in and spend extra money. All answers here are all the same standard price of free. ;) Start with the simple things first as mentioned above.

• Like 2

8ntruck
Posted (edited)

A couple more basics - is there gas in the tank, and is the petcock on the fuel tank on?

I've been bitten by these two several times.

Edited by 8ntruck

rmaynard

This just happened to me. My 701 ran great at the big show. Engine had been rebuilt prior to. Ran it a few times before putting it away for the winter. Tried to start it yesterday. Nothing. Pulled the plug, wet with gas. Check for spark, okay. Still wouldn't fire. Replace the 8 month old NGK spark plug with a 5 year old Autolite. Fired right up. 

• Like 1

squonk

Autolites are the only plugs I use in Kohler's 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Autolite 216 is the best plug that I've used. Can't find them anywhere now.

Sailman
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

This just happened to me. My 701 ran great at the big show. Engine had been rebuilt prior to. Ran it a few times before putting it away for the winter. Tried to start it yesterday. Nothing. Pulled the plug, wet with gas. Check for spark, okay. Still wouldn't fire. Replace the 8 month old NGK spark plug with a 5 year old Autolite. Fired right up. 

I have had the same issue with several small engines (weed eater, etc). I always replace the plug first and it has fixed many a problem.