Sign in to follow this  
69DEZ

VERTICALS

69DEZ

Speaking of High Performance Wheel Horses. This might be a dumb question but did any of them have an electric or a hydro lift. I haven't had time to do any research on this but I was thinking that would be cool on the Commando. :thumbs:

Sparky

You could get em with either of those lifts but I dont think they were available on the verticles. My C-125 and 418-A both have hydraulic lift.

You might have to fabricate it yourself.

Mike..........

combatmp29r

69Dez None of the verts came with either elec or hydraulic lifts. The hydros on the verts didn't have the charge pumps like say the C series did so the hydraulic was out. I think the electric issue was clearance with the belts snaking around the lift setup its pretty tight down there.

Now I think a hydraulic set up can be done. Or electric for that matter. I'm debating a FEL for the V18. I picked up a 12.5 GPM hydraulic pump a couple weeks back that can be vertically mounted. I may wait and see how well the V18 does though as I have a 16hp twin cylinder in the barn and enough parts coming in a horse trade for the C160 auto (details to come soon) to build a V16 twin. Mith has me drooling over the backhoe, so I'm thinking a Vertical shaft twin cylinder tractor with loader and backhoe may be next fall/winters project :thumbs: :thumbs:

69DEZ

Your project sounds like a good idea. :thumbs: I was thinking that there wasn't enough room down there. I guess I have enough projects, started building a motorcycle, picked up a simplicity RER, sold my Cub and got hooked once again on WH's thanks to this site. I've caught the WH fever bad this time. Anyways there are some things I need to straighten out on the V10. When I get time I'll post them. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

The V7 style front frame may give you enough room to mount a pump in front of your engine. The V8s with their cast iron front sections and muffler troughs make it more interesting to do.

charger8teardown4.jpg

The pic is of the 1970 Charger V8 thats torn down to restore. THat muffler is a very loud attempt at muflfer making by the PO. Its just 1/8" wall pipe welded togethor. No baffles :thumbs:

My thought fo rthe pump is to make a front suitcase weight bracket that I can mount the pump into.Then I'll run it off the lower pulley groove on the motor pulley. Kinda like this but vertically mounted and painted red :thumbs:

318_loader17.jpg

T-Mo

The older JD 110s and 112s as well as the JD 200 series all were offered with hydraulic lifts or electric lifts. These were 4 speed Peerless drive tractors with horizontal Kohlers or Tecumsehs engines. The pump was mounted between the engine and the dash and use a belt from the engine to power the pump. So it can be done without having a charge pump on your transmission nor even a hydrostatic transmission. You just need real estate and some :thumbs: to make it work.

combatmp29r

Realestate is the issue on the verts Terry. The inside of the frame is full of belts, pulleyes, linkages and many other flesh eating parts :thumbs:

TT

Too bad you weren't trying to do it on one of your Kohler verticals, Joel. I could set you up with a S/G pulley for the flywheel and you could belt drive a pump from there. You'd just need to bolt it to a bracket somewhere on the engine, or on a bracket mounted to the side of the frame. :thumbs:

Some of the old Allis & Simplicity tractors had the vertical Briggs engines with the S/G -- that's what made me think of this.......

Maybe you could even bolt a drive hub/stub shaft to the flywheel of a Briggs twin, put a large V pulley on it and run the pump off of that end? (just throwing you some ideas)

combatmp29r

:P I've been stuck on stupid :thumbs: Forgot all about that end of the motor.I could build a fluid resevoir tank to fit in the space in front of the motor and the muffler sump, and mount the pump on it somewhere with a belt to the motor on top. :thumbs: Just might work. Not on the V18, because the carb and air cleaner are there in the front, but I could flip the V16 or whatever it ends up with on it the otherway to make room for the pump. Hmmmmmm I'm sure i could adapt a S/G pulley to a twin cylinder briggs. Just take some steel, the welder and a big hammer :D

TT

Or....... you could direct-drive the pump off of the flywheel (log splitter style -- just the other end of the engine) and build a pro-stock hood scoop to cover it up. :thumbs:

Now...... you'll have to figure out what rotation pump you'll need. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Yeah boy would that be a pain if I need to fix something :thumbs: The pump I got has a tapered shaft so I will have to add an adapter block. Rotates right to do that, but hosea and everything else everyhwere alot of :thumbs: and :D involved I'm sure. You know I could mount the pump on the back of the engine over the battery and in front of the gas tank. Then bend some custome hard lines and hoses to feed it from the resevoir in the front. Great Terry now I gotta sketch this down and write some ideas. Who knows maybe the V18 will have a hydraulic lift by June :P :D