ebinmaine

How to seat beads on 12 PSI tires with tubes?

ebinmaine

First, these tires HAVE TUBES. 

Our main question is,  how high of an air pressure should we have to put in a 12 PSI 2 ply turf tire for the bead to seat correctly? 

We've had them up to 20, 22 or so. Not quite there..... 

What do you folks do for a stubborn tire?

Sparky

Lots of soapy water on the bead to help it slip into place. Maybe some carefully used heat source (like hair dryer, not a torch) to make the rubber softer and more pliable 

• Like 5

ri702bill

Lots of bead lube - and- about 30 to 35 psi. Then Bounce the tire on the floor! DO NOT be a hero trying to catch it - may end up with quite a pinch!

May need to bounce it several times - it works!!

• Like 5

Lee1977
Posted (edited)

The last 8" triribs I put on I used  650 tubes in it in front of a heat duct for a couple of days. Then used Armorall get the tires on.

Then put the 400-480 tubes in, there still enough Armorall on to seat the tires. I leave the valve out and use what ever pressure it takes to seat the tire.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 8

Achto

Heavy on the soap & water usually works. In some cases I have put grease on the rim & tire bead. Makes them slip right on with little effort.

• Like 4

OoPEZoO

My tricks for seating beads

-remove the valve stem core

-use a decent sized FULL compressor tank

-remove all bottle necks from the air hose/fittings.  As in.....if you have a 1/4" NPT ball valve on the output of the tank, remove it.

-I prefer only using type V 1/4" air line fittings or larger

-soapy water along the beads with a spray bottle

You want as much air as possible to get into the tube as fast as possible.  My setup for seating beads is a 33G compressor with a 1/4" output that connects to a 3/8" hose to a basic air chuck.  There have been a few times I've had to set the tire up on end, put my knee in the middle of the tread, and apply my body weight to the tire while filling to get it to bulge out and seat, but I've never had any real issues using that method........and I've seated 100+ tires car, motorcycle, tractor, 4-wheeler, you name it.  Let'er rip with your face turned away and listen for the POP POP of the beads to seat. For low pressure tires like that, I've never thought twice about putting 30-40 PSI into them for a few seconds to get them to seat, then remove the chuck to let the air out.  Then replace the valve core and air them up properly.

• Like 4

ANTPER

Wondering if ratchet strapping middle of tire as you would beading a tubeless tire. Would send most of pressures out sideways out toward beads?

• Like 2

ohiofarmer
1 hour ago, ANTPER said:

Wondering if ratchet strapping middle of tire as you would beading a tubeless tire. Would send most of pressures out sideways out toward beads?

it seems to. That is what I had to do one time when a guy lost his tire off the rim with a loaded trailer.. Also , please let me comment on why I am not a fan of lots of soapy water.. Soapy water is an alkali, and alkali is a salt that will conduct electricity.and it will rust metal more quickly

Murphy's oil soap is PH neutral and Murphy is the same company that makes a bead setting compound, So I just add a tiny bit of water with some Murphy's and rub it on the tire with a rag. Murphy's also is great to wash a car with as it nourishes the paint. Watching a tire guy in a tire shop slopping a bunch of water inside a tire and sealing it inside to rust out a wheel just never made sense to me, A friend of mine used Vaseline rubbed sparingly on the rim and tire for the same reason,

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Also , please let me comment on why I am not a fan of lots of soapy water.. Soapy water is an alkali, and alkali is a salt that will conduct electricity.and it will rust metal more quickly

Windex. Slick as soapy water, spray where needed. And it will evaporate. Also works wonders when applying decals! Lets them slide around and squeegee bubbles easily. 

My wife thinks I drink the stuff! :lol:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

kpinnc
2 hours ago, ANTPER said:

Wondering if ratchet strapping middle of tire as you would beading a tubeless tire.

Yes and no. Can be helpful, but the strap can fail at the ratchet. Had it happen myself, and it made my eyes get big and other parts clench! :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ohiofarmer
3 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

My tricks for seating beads

-remove the valve stem core

-use a decent sized FULL compressor tank

-remove all bottle necks from the air hose/fittings.  As in.....if you have a 1/4" NPT ball valve on the output of the tank, remove it.

-I prefer only using type V 1/4" air line fittings or larger

-soapy water along the beads with a spray bottle

You want as much air as possible to get into the tube as fast as possible.  My setup for seating beads is a 33G compressor with a 1/4" output that connects to a 3/8" hose to a basic air chuck.  There have been a few times I've had to set the tire up on end, put my knee in the middle of the tread, and apply my body weight to the tire while filling to get it to bulge out and seat, but I've never had any real issues using that method........and I've seated 100+ tires car, motorcycle, tractor, 4-wheeler, you name it.  Let'er rip with your face turned away and listen for the POP POP of the beads to seat. For low pressure tires like that, I've never thought twice about putting 30-40 PSI into them for a few seconds to get them to seat, then remove the chuck to let the air out.  Then replace the valve core and air them up properly.

I don't even use an air chuck. I just use an air connector and jamb it in the quick  connector on the air hose.

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Windex. Slick as soapy water, spray where needed. And it will evaporate. Also works wonders when applying decals! Lets them slide around and squeegee bubbles easily. 

My wife thinks I drink the stuff! :lol:

image.jpeg.2015bf29d844b659e0fb18830a9f805d.jpeg

Windex is a great lubricant and I wish more people would use it.            :ychain:        Seemed to work in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What do you folks do for a stubborn tire

Once you have applied the lubricant of your choosing and the tube has been inflated to about 30 to 35 PSI you could lay the suborn tire on the floor and beat on it with a rubber mallet or plastic coated dead blow hammer. That should shock it into submission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Bunches of excellent suggestions above as usual here on Redsquare.  

Thanks folks. 

We've done some. We'll modify our methods and try the rest.  

Pullstart
15 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Then Bounce the tire on the floor!

It must have worked!  Check him out now!

4086B169-C8AD-4AE8-82D8-12C973290B00.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

ranger

I use tyre lube when mounting, I’ve also found that a couple of squirts of WD40 makes breaking the bead for demounting an awful lot easier!

• Like 2

ebinmaine

One of the two tires seated itself overnight while setting. 

We're gonna place the other in the sun for a bit this afternoon. 

Air temp is in the mid 50s here.  If it doesn't seat on its own within an hour or two we'll deflate and try other options.