6wheeler

K301 S question

6wheeler

Hi all. Fiddling with this Electro 12 I picked up. I was going to clean and set the points. Someone forgot to put some on it. It has this odd looking thing that the plug wire comes out of. Is this some sort of electronic ignition? It has spark and does run. But, I think the spark looks weak. Can I do something for this? Or , can it be converted to points and a coil. 20240212_151351.jpg.a41c325b864ac3c5d1cfe92486ce1948.jpg

20240224_113153.jpg

squonk

Yes they can be converted. Read this:

• Like 1

WHX??

Another thread on this. 

pfrederi

If it works why mess with it. I have a few and they all work just fine. Check the air gap on the trigger and check the coil resistance.

• Like 1

6wheeler
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If it works why mess with it. I have a few and they all work just fine. Check the air gap on the trigger and check the coil resistance.

I really don't want to change it. It does run. I am going to take the cover off and clean everything up in there. What should the gap be?

• Like 1

pfrederi

.005 to .010    closer is better for cold starting.  If your system works and you still decide to change you are sitting on some good money

• Like 2

Chris-laf
On 2/24/2024 at 2:13 PM, pfrederi said:

I'm not getting a reading on the coil but I've managed to get another putting it on now in hopes of spark

• Like 1