uk175horse

Ignition and strange wiring

uk175horse

Hi guys, 

I'm thinking of adding some LED's lights to replace the dead halogens/corroded wiring, and was planning on hooking up to the A - accessory terminal. 

But checking the ignition switch I seem to have the magneto version - as I can see an M, S, B, I, G? terminal. 

I have a c175 with K341 engine

Its currently wired as

M - no connection

S - to starter solonoid

B - To battery +

I - To coil (also linked from coil to rectifier DC+)

G - to battery Negative/Ground

All works OK (aside from zero safety switches in place!), so do i just ignore and wire LED's straight to the battery or is this going to be causing any longer term issue?

I guess the battery will charge as I + B are linked when running?

Thanks

Edited by uk175horse
  • Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Below is a link to the wiring your tractor would have had leaving the factory. If your tractor is performing well and all you wish to do is add the LED lighting there are a couple of options. If the wiring is as shown in the drawing and the light switch has an Orange wire running to it just use that as a power feed. From the sound of your wiring to the ignition switch it may have been rewired with an incorrect switch. If that is the case you could connect a wire to the battery "+" terminal with a 10 Amp fuse, switch and then on to the lights.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Don't recall ever seeing an ignition switch with a M and an I terminal.

Could the I possibly be an R or A?

• Like 5

wallfish
Just now, gwest_ca said:

Don't recall ever seeing an ignition switch with a M and an I terminal.

Could the I possibly be an R or A?

Same. Don't believe they make that but...

The A would still provide power to the coil and connect the regulator back to the battery as it is wired.

Best to get the proper battery ignition switch but power for the lights could be taken from that same terminal.

The M will ground in the off position so that's why nothing is connected to it.

• Like 2

uk175horse

To be honest I'm going by a photo I took a couple months back, not that clear,  so will check if it's definitely an I or R/A.

Nothing connected to the light switch but it's still there, need to check it even works!

What's the purpose of the G being connected to battery negative, would it even be doing anything ?

ssoles

I have downloaded this and they mention the fuses but have been unable to locate them. Does anyone know where they are physically located?  1978 c165. 

pfrederi

It is more reliable than grounding through the switch dash panel retainer nut.  Mag switches need a reliable ground to stop the engine...

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

It is more reliable than grounding through the switch dash panel retainer nut.  Mag switches need a reliable ground to stop the engine...

Definitely :text-yeahthat:

Achto
3 hours ago, uk175horse said:

What's the purpose of the G being connected to battery negative, would it even be doing anything ?

2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

It is more reliable than grounding through the switch dash panel retainer nut.  Mag switches need a reliable ground to stop the engine.

:text-yeahthat:

If you had a magneto ignition then the "G" terminal would connect to the "M" terminal in the OFF position in order to kill the engine.

• Like 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, ssoles said:

I have downloaded this and they mention the fuses but have been unable to locate them. Does anyone know where they are physically located?  1978 c165. 

Responce in your thread. 

uk175horse

The ignition switch was actually marked with L not an I . Bought a waterproof fuse holder now and the light switch is still working, just need to get some PAR LEDs and hook them up. Thanks all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1