Brockport Bill

Kt17..engine whine noise

Brockport Bill

I have series 2 Kohler kt 17 with engine whining noise. Listen to short videos..i varied throttle to create symptoms. . It was not making that noise few days ago, it's just had  new starter, plugs, condenser, points,  new master hydraulic valve,. Only new work is carb rebuild just  before noise began. 

All fluids are good. It starts and runs and drives. Ugh. Any ideas or insights?

pfrederi

Sounds like something rubbing.  Flywheel screen??? take it off and see another thought  can you see if the starter motor is disengaging

Brockport Bill
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Sounds like something rubbing.  Flywheel screen??? take it off and see another thought  can you see if the starter motor is disengaging

thanks -- will check those tomorrow -- i did start the tractor and ran briefly last week with new starter -- had NO noise... but that doesn't mean it couldn't be something new with it not disengaging????? I also tightened some engine tin bolts yesterday  -- so maybe something there? Appreciate the thoughts!!!

pfrederi

The tins on KT are a real PIA to get all aligned and hooked up.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

I also tightened some engine tin bolts yesterday

It sure sounds tinny.    With it running, try loosening the tin bolts and listen for a change.

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

The tins on KT are a real PIA to get all aligned and hooked up.

i bought two c175s at same time couple yrs ago -- the Series 1 had tins -- this Series 2 had no tins --- i was able to acquire the matching tins separately - - and fortunately i had the other KT17 on the other C175 to mirror the install application and do a copycat to see the tin alignment and screw bolts placement ---- etc -- so i cleaned the tins I acquired and then sprayed with high temp primer and paint - - came out looking good -- but when i did the new strarter motor install and few other tasks over past couple weeks, it also invloved some tins - - So i am hoping its something simple like the tins  and certainly hoping its not internal to the engine???????? 

i've done lots of work on this tractor so I don't want to go backwards with new issues !!! UGH !!

wh C175 - 1984 Series 2 side view.jpg

• Like 3

pfrederi

Very much doubt it is internal. I have several KT17s all have somewhat different tins some from JD and even WH spec engines have somewhat different tins. Listen closely see if you can figure out which side the sound is at.

My bet is that it is eh flywheel screen...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Cody

Rotate the flywheel screen by hand with the engine off and see if you can pinpoint the area where the noise is. I've had a few of those kt17's that the starter would stay engaged after the engine started. That's what it sounds like to me from the video

• Like 3

Brockport Bill

i don't want to be overly optimistic but you may have rescued me from sleepless nite -- haha  - - per your suggestions - i loosened multiple tin screws and sounds like the whine is gone -- its dark and cold out so i will wait till tomorrow to declare victory  --- So tomorrow i will have light and warmer temps and will see if that was the issue and solution??? Let's hope???????????? As always the members here are always on stand by -- many thanks -- stay tuned for tomorrow's follow up  -- thanks, Bill

wh c175 Series 2 rear side angle.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

kpinnc
4 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

i've done lots of work on this tractor

It's a beautiful machine! :thumbs:

Makes me wanna tear into that Kohler twin I've been sitting on for a while. They sound so good! 

• Like 1

JCM
5 hours ago, kpinnc said:

It's a beautiful machine! :thumbs:

Makes me wanna tear into that Kohler twin I've been sitting on for a while. They sound so good! 

:text-yeahthat:

Ed Kennell
16 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

stay tuned for tomorrow's follow up

:confusion-waiting:

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Sounds like the old gear driven timing sets on race engines

Brockport Bill
On 2/19/2024 at 12:37 PM, Ed Kennell said:

:confusion-waiting:

i removed the front flywheel area main tin and rotated the flywheel manually and no whine sound  -- found a few shinny wear marks at perimeter of edge of screen on flywheel so they could have been rubbing on the tin ????????????  Something was clearly rubbing but sound is gone -- for now anyway -- i reinstalled the tin with screws but didn't tighten as much, just snugged -- i left a few screws off - ran tractor 10-15 minutes and no whine sound  -- so hoping it does not re-appear??????????? thanks to all my mystery solver fellow R.Sq members - - Bill

• Thanks 1