formariz

Routers, what I use and why

JimSraj

I also have a small collection of routers that I’ve accumulated over the years. The first one that I bought, back in the mid 80’s, is a Milwaukee 5680 fixed base. It is still with me and working as it has for all these years.  Never had to do anything to it other than new brushes about 10 years ago. It’s been upside down in a table for a number of years now. Also have an older Bosch fixed base, I think it’s a 1604, that I bought at a garage sale for a few $$. I don’t care for the on off switch being located on the top where it’s near impossible to reach with hands on the handles but it is a very strong router. Problem with it now, is that the mechanism to tighten the base is a proprietary wing nut that squeezes the base metal against the body of the router. One of the wings broke off and the part that houses it on the base cracked as well. I’ve got a big hose clamp on it that works but it’s very awkward to use. I’m told that the Porter Cable 690 base fits and works well but haven’t been able to find one nor can I find the Bosch base that goes with the 1604.  Another newer Bosch 1617, with both fixed and plunge bases, as well as a big Porter Cable 7538 and a Milwaukee 5625 round out the 2 handed routers in my shop. Several smaller laminate trimmer types for lighter duty.