John2189

Sms42 sickle mower

John2189

I have this mower im kicking around selling. I rebuilt the wobble box with new bushings and seal. It now holds oil. Rest of it is in good condition. It’s mounted to an 656 wheel horse which I want to keep. Here is the best picture of it I have . What do you think it’s worth? I don’t see any for sale. Im in eastern Ohio 

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

Edited by John2189
Location added
  • Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

They bring a fairly shiny penny. I've seen them from $500 to $800 depending on the model of mower.

• Like 3

ri702bill

I agree they are not very common in working condition and do fetch a good price.

( Top price if the buyer has a Gopher problem... ) :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 5

c-series don

I think I paid $2-300 for mine, I honestly don’t remember. It didn’t work, I knew that when I brought it. I took it apart and found it had a broken yoke in the wobble box. I welded it up and it is good to go. Leaks a little bit so I might reseal it or just fill it with cornhead grease. It took a little bit of adapting to make it work on my C-121 8-Speed but now it works fine. I have absolutely nothing to cut with it, it’s just one of those attachments as a Wheel Horse collector that I had to have. 

IMG_8911.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

It's always dicey what these are worth. I paid 100 for a basket case but knew I could resto it for less than 100 +- but figured it would sell for 4-450 if I wanted to.  They are somewhat in demand for us collectors. Still it's a crap shoot. Someone that really wants one to add to a collection would pay upwards of 350. 

When one looks at prices of what is demanded of just a mid mount blade 4-5 is a good deal. 

20170719_190038.jpg

• Like 4

Mike'sHorseBarn
10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

When one looks at prices of what is demanded of just a mid mount blade 4-5 is a good deal. 

Mid mount blades are cheap I got mine for $90     :happy-jumpeveryone:

I'll go away now    :hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lane Ranger

The SMS-42 Sickle Bar Mower is a better fit and operating attachment on the round hoods and 1965-67 Wheel Horse garden tractors than the 50 inch.  

I have had both and prefer the way the 42 functions.   The extra eight inch length on the 50 inch Wheel Horse attachment does not really provide much more useful abilities.  I think the weed clogging seems more of a problem on the 50 inch sickle.   I have also owned a Haban sickle made for Wheel Horses ( model 414) and I do believe it is superior to the Wheel Horse sickle attachment.   A lot of moving activity in that small wobble box.  Maintenance is a key responsibility if you own one of these.

One of the projects i undertook a couple years ago was to get some new sickle bar mower drive pins made.   I had them made out of heavy duty stainless steel .   This is an essential part that Toro no longer made.  

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

John2189
38 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

The SMS-42 Sickle Bar Mower is a better fit and operating attachment on the round hoods and 1965-67 Wheel Horse garden tractors than the 50 inch.  

I have had both and prefer the way the 42 functions.   The extra eight inch length on the 50 inch Wheel Horse attachment does not really provide much more useful abilities.  I think the weed clogging seems more of a problem on the 50 inch sickle.   I have also owned a Haban sickle made for Wheel Horses ( model 414) and I do believe it is superior to the Wheel Horse sickle attachment.   A lot of moving activity in that small wobble box.  Maintenance is a key responsibility if you own one of these.

One of the projects i undertook a couple years ago was to get some new sickle bar mower drive pins made.   I had them made out of heavy duty stainless steel .   This is an essential part that Toro no longer made.  

I had a local machine shop make a new drive pin and machined the oblong hole in the knife blade and put a replaceable bushing 

• Like 2

WHX??
4 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Mid mount blades are cheap I got mine for $90     :happy-jumpeveryone:

I'll go away now    :hide:

Lol I think @Achto only paid 50... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Lol I think @Achto only paid 50

had it been posted sooner, I would've grabbed one for $35 last weekend

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??
14 minutes ago, Achto said:

had it been posted sooner, I would've grabbed one for $35 last weekend

You had to bring that up didn't you...:crying-blue:

Day after we're in the twin cities it pops up on CL. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

Dan/Jim:  I got my second old style mid-grader blade for $50 in October!  It’s a nice one.  

IMG_9644.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

We're getting completely :offtopic:here lol but I will say that those mid mount blades work incredibly well!

• Like 1

squonk

I got my last 2 AC mid blades for free and they work even better!

• Like 1

PWL216

What is a sickle cutter actually used for? Is it meant to cut grass or small saplings?

John2189
41 minutes ago, PWL216 said:

What is a sickle cutter actually used for? Is it meant to cut grass or small saplings?

Hay, grass.  It will cut saplings no bigger than your little finger. I have used it to cut the weeds at the tree line. 

• Like 2

Thegearhead0324

I always debate on selling my sickle bar, but I can’t part with it. They’re rare and they are such a neat attachment. I redid mine few years back. Bought it in 2017 for $300. I’m sure I can get a nice chunk of money for it now but why sell it. I have the 1312 model (50”). 

IMG_1095.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2