RED-Z06

I thought id mentioned it on here before but maybe not.  If you find yourself painting wheels alot, let the air out, dont dismount the tires, they will pull off the rim a bit from deflating.  Jump on Amazon and grab the cheapest playing cards you can..i usually get a 24 pack for 20 bucks or less.  Then stick them down in the rim, overlapping to form a solid barrier.  No taping required.  You can usually use them a couple times20230311_145642.jpg.09be83d92df0ca929977b2dad11d7bd5.jpg

20230311_145504.jpg

• Like 6

kpinnc

Use this myself on a regular basis. Works better than anything I've tried on wheels. I usually give them a primer coat inside before mounting the tires, then this process afterwards. 

IMG_20240128_195403696.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

ebinmaine

Excellent method for AIR filled tires. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I use the kids old math flash cards... Finally! A use for math!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 4

ri702bill

I do the same with the "Dollar Store" playing cards. I also heat up the can of paint prior to and during use. Half a sauce pan of tap hot water works fine. thins the paint and raises the pressure in the can - win, win. DO wipe off the can each time it comes out of the pan before painting !!.....

P8030180.JPG

P8030182.JPG

• Like 5

Pullstart

@RED-Z06 great post, but why did you burn our retinas with yellow?  :lol:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

RED-Z06
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

I do the same with the "Dollar Store" playing cards. I also heat up the can of paint prior to and during use. Half a sauce pan of tap hot water works fine. thins the paint and raises the pressure in the can - win, win. DO wipe off the can each time it comes out of the pan before painting !!.....

P8030180.JPG

P8030182.JPG

We used to heat nitrous bottles with blow torches to raise bottle pressure, ive thought about it with paint but even the devil on my shoulder says i probably shouldn't 🤣

• Like 2

WHX??

Most of my rims get painted with tire off. Great for touch ups when they get scratches from mounting. They say the best paint goes down if one uses all RED cards...:lol:

20200920_141230.jpg

20200920_141249.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

@RED-Z06 great post, but why did you burn our retinas with yellow?  :lol:

Honestly i don't usually bring my phone out into the shop, it usually ends up damaged, that particular time though i had it with me.  The 702 wheels i had to put new tires on and thats the last WH set ive done in 3 or 4 years.

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

read the playing card suggestion here a couple yrs ago -- works terrific -- i even use for painting mower deck wheels  -- comes out great !!

wh mower deck wheel painting.jpg

wh mower deck wheel painted.jpg

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

just curious????????? Wondering how everyone cleans up the rims? Some are in already in ok shape, others terrific condition - - and others pretty rusted. I have had some I wanted to look excellent so I had  professionally sand blasted then I painted -- others i have used 4 1/2 inch 90 degree angle grinder with sanding disc but can only reach limited areas on rear rims. I combine sanding with smaller mini hand held rotary air grinder to sand - plus often had to resort to hand sanding for areas tools can't get -- As we know many areas around inside of rims are challenging to access -- NOT fun! I suppose some people  just superficial sand then paint over rust?? What's everyones preferred method to prep the rims ? Thanks

wh rim before rehab.jpg

wh rims cream.jpg

wh rims wheel  - black.jpg

• Like 1

RED-Z06
26 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

just curious????????? Wondering how everyone cleans up the rims? Some are in already in ok shape, others terrific condition - - and others pretty rusted. I have had some I wanted to look excellent so I had  professionally sand blasted then I painted -- others i have used 4 1/2 inch 90 degree angle grinder with sanding disc but can only reach limited areas on rear rims. I combine sanding with smaller mini hand held rotary air grinder to sand - plus often had to resort to hand sanding for areas tools can't get -- As we know many areas around inside of rims are challenging to access -- NOT fun! I suppose some people  just superficial sand then paint over rust?? What's everyones preferred method to prep the rims ? Thanks

wh rim before rehab.jpg

wh rims cream.jpg

wh rims wheel  - black.jpg

If im painting tire on, i use an electric die grinder with a roughly 2" wire wheel to loosen anything like rust, paint, then a stripping wheel on a 4.5" grinder for what i can get to...4" wire wheel for rhe insides...its not going to be perfect.  Then a high build 1k primer, 2 coats...then into the sun...helps cure..the primer is ready in 30 minutes.  Then 2 or 3 coats of color.  Once its tacked off, into the sun and pulm the cards out.  Once its set up, pop in a new stem and air it up.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

Wondering how everyone cleans up the rims?  

In the past we've done a whatever it takes routine using multiple tools like you. 

Last fall I set up an E tank for cleaning up something I can't recall now. 

After that I've used it on several pieces of my Mackissic chipper. 

Next time we get a wheel needing attention I may try that E tank.  

It works excellent and is FAR less labor intensive than any other methods we've done.  

rjg854

Assorted wire wheels and a drill, that's my usual go to.

kpinnc
12 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

Wondering how everyone cleans up the rims?

If I were painting the wheel in your pic, I typically just sand the rough spots by hand with 120 grit. Just to remove the rust and get back to paint that is still adhered. I sand the spot until I can't feel the edge of a bad spot. Then I do a "scratch" with 220 or so all over the wheel, and clean it with a decent degreaser. I prime with red oxide and then paint. Never had any breakout rust after. Some of my wheels were painted more than 10 years ago, and they are still good. 

IMG_20220402_190705140.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Brockport Bill
3 hours ago, kpinnc said:

If I were painting the wheel in your pic, I typically just sand the rough spots by hand with 120 grit. Just to remove the rust and get back to paint that is still adhered. I sand the spot until I can't feel the edge of a bad spot. Then I do a "scratch" with 220 or so all over the wheel, and clean it with a decent degreaser. I prime with red oxide and then paint. Never had any breakout rust after. Some of my wheels were painted more than 10 years ago, and they are still good. 

IMG_20220402_190705140.jpg

that creme color and its finish is terrific --- the wire wheels are also one of my go to - - fortunately i have enough various tools and attachments that can usually navigate the different challenges in the rims awkward shapes -- always trying to minimize the hand sanding  - - but using hand power is usually unavoidable -- thanks for the tips

• Like 4